Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a redline a day keeps the mechanic away

Valve float depends on the cond. of your valve springs, if they're new or have never really been abused then it'll happen at the upper rev range. I have 2 86 ea82t's and the lifted wagon floats em at 7000rpm but the rally wagon floats at 6500rpm on a good day. If you install some new springs or stiffer aftermarkets then you should be able to take it up to 8000rpm with no float.

when the valves float you will hit a flat spot that you cant rev past, and you will hear it too.

my spfi wagon floats at a bit over 7500 according to the stock tach, and its got 290k kms on it. My old turbo wagon floated somewhere above 7k according to the digidash.

No seriously, does it? :lol:

It's so much more fun to drive an ea82 keeping it above 3-4k rpm.

Where do the valves start floating? I saw 7K rpm this morning, and they seemed fine!

it seems to me that in that range(3-4k rpm) is where u get most of the engines power.

I guess my valve float is around 4700-5000rpm

-Brian

thats restriction you feel or somthing else wrong. it wont float that early. trust me ;) I raced that car.

I never take my cars over red line but right up to it on occasion seems ok to me.

subie94 and lukas must drive non turbo cars. turbos like to run at high RPM. just the nature of the beasts.

I guess my valve float is around 4700-5000rpm

-Brian

The rpm that your valves float will be the same under accel or free revving. If your car cant make it to the rpm under accel that it can while in neutral, then something else is restricting/your powerband drops off really quickly.

beyond redline!!!!!!!!!!! 6.5K is where the ea81 sounds the best with ea82 carb, intake maniflod, and complete exhaust with glasspack at the end

I held it there for a while :banana::D

of course, I let it warm up to normal operating temp first, I ain't stupid :lol:

a redline a day keeps the gremlins at bay

anyone else redline the ea82 in 1st rwd lo goin up a muddy "road"??