Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Temp guage reading... Does anyone know?

So I was wondering if anyone knows the readings on a temp guage on an ea82 since it just shows C and H on it. I would like to know what the heck they consider hot and what they consider cold and certainly what is the middle? Lastly where should my guage be with a 180 t stat?

From what I've seen on my two EA82s with analog gauges the stock 190F thermostat puts the needle at half or slightly below, my RX now has a 180F and runs a bit above 1/4 on the scale. Not sure about the digi tho.

Hope that helps

Gary

Good question.

I had read so many accounts of oil pressure gauges being quite different from car to car (Soobs) that I did not trust mine, so installed mechanical.

I just (yesterday) installed a mechanical tempt gauge too. The in dash gauge in my 85 GL wagon, DR5spman was taking about 15 minutes to get up reading 1/4. Then it stayed right there, no matter how hard (or not) I drove. Having no idea what such a reading might really mean as far as operating temp goes, I went out and bought a full sweep mechanical.

Results: Takes about 15 minutes warm up at ide (or a couple of miles if I just start driveing) to get the new gauge up to 180. Then it pretty much stays right there. Only fluctuates maybe 10 15 degrees up or down from there, depending on RPM.

I assume I have a 180 stock thermostat, don't really know. I bought a cheap replacement, but since then read here about those being problematic, so have been afraid to install it. Besides, I don't seem to have any temp problems. Though I confess that I don't even know how hot or cool these engines are supposed to run.

If the above report on how my EA82 is running sounds like something is not right, I hope someone will let me know.

Hope this helps, and thanks for any comments.

Pyro

I dont know how accurate mine is but Bucky runs barely off cold when its cold outside and between 1/4 and 1/2 when hot out.Closer to the 1/2 when he is pulling a hill or is under load (IE AC on). But I dont think he is accurate since I get good heat quick when its cold out and when its hot out he seems to be alittle too hot. My 88 GL wagon used to run 1/4 all the time though..dont know what temp themostat was or is in either..never changed it yet:)