Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front wheel noise

yesterday i noticed a scueaking kinda sound coming from my front dr side wheel. it kinda sounds liek the sound a tire will make iif you are driving with it worn down to the point the steel belts are showing. i also noticed that when im cornering i can hear a something that sounds like the the rotor is rubbing on the brake . now i just put in newer axles on both sides bout a month ago and i just had to snug up the axle a little bit yesterday because i was noticing it was wobbling a little bit, now the wobbling stopped but now its making the noise. i know the noise seems real bad if im on a steeper incline sideways with the drivers side as the low side.

does anybody have a clue what this might be from???

forgot to mention my tires all have over 1/2 inch or more of tread on them, but that front tire was flat when i bought the car so does somebody think it might be a steel belt bad inside it

sounds lile a loose axle nut, but you said you tiightened them. but since they were loose and driven on it may have worn a wheel bearing now they are tight. tighten them again and if the noise is still there investigate the wheel bearings.

are the bearings new when you did the axle or are they the old ones?

actually i still have the spindle from my 87 with a newer set of bearings in it i may just switch the whole spondle on if i cant find anything else wrong with it. im gonna check it out real good tomorrow to see if i can figure it out. and i noticed the last time i drove it, that its getting worse and, now its starting to wobble again. whejn i figure out something ill let you guys know, and thanks for the advice so far ill check all the stuff out. the balljoint didnt have play when i checked it out a few weeks ago but it also wasnt making these noises then so ill check that out again tomorrow. any other suggestions?? ill check this thread in the morning before i go out to work on the car.

I did that exact repair about 3 months ago. (bearings and axel-our first Subaru repair together....ahhh those father and son times) Dad... don't break my brat!.. any way, could only afford one side as your right, bearings, seals etc.. about $45. each side. Sounds just like my sons car was making, I thought it was the C.V. joint, got new axel, took off hub and half the bearings were gone... chewed up.. replaced bearings with new axel and doing great. If there was any damage too bearing you probably would have seen some metal filings in the grease?.. so if you saw none then possibly bearings o.k., I did notice on my sons Brat the Inside front break ram didn't return all the way, so the outside break looks great, inside is about wore out and big gouge in rotor,that makes a rubbing noise. (our next job.)

Not sure if this helps as I am new to these.

Oh, I also had to take it all apart again as the new-rebuilt axel they sold me was no good...., it clanked worse then the bearings.. so I replaced again and put it back together. 1st time, all day (first axel replacement I had done),

2nd time, 42 minutes and back on the road starting from when I pulled up into driveway with replacement axel.

Loving the Brat.

Your .02 adds up to about $20 each. Thats $40 a side. Not that cheap. You can get them alittle cheaper, but you might be sacrificing quality.

Are you talking about front bearings? If so, you pay a lot of money for your bearings over there!

is that from a bearing supplier or a car parts place? The bearing supplier would be cheaper than that i would think. I get good SKF bearings for around NZ$10-15 each (less than US$10 each).

Are you talking about front bearings? If so, you pay a lot of money for your bearings over there!

is that from a bearing supplier or a car parts place? The bearing supplier would be cheaper than that i would think. I get good SKF bearings for around NZ$10-15 each (less than US$10 each).

yes they are that expensive over here - you can get cheap knock-off ones that are "MADE IN CHINA" that last about 10 min on the expressway before they start to moan and vibrate for about $10-$15 US (or more - I haven't really priced them) - had a friend try some on his '93 BMW - took about three sets before he realized the real problem

Yup, thier pricey. You can go to a shop that makes bearings and have them match up something, you might save $10 a bearing.

Indrid, when you do the front brakes, the pistons have to rotate in not push in.

Other symptoms of a bad front end are the splines going bad in the hub. But when that happens the wheel wont move and it feels like the clutch is slipping. Also, when replacing the washers on the axle stub make sure you get the flat washer on the correct way. Its cupped and needs the cupped part towards the wheel.

Thanks for the extra info. I need to hear about those basic things so appreciate the little extras.

I found a couple of older Subarus in front of peoples homes as I was driving by and left them notes if interested in selling.... I want another Sube My son can have the Brat and I want me one! A year ago I drove to and from work, passing an older Brat sitting in a field with weeds and goats... didn't realized what I was missing! Someone came and got it this spring... gone.

I am trying to convince my dad to chuck his Dodge Caravan and get a Brat - nice vehicles - if I had to replace mine I would consiter it, but I need the extra passenger space!

ditto on the brake turning - a variety of tools may be employed, but I prefer a lineman's pliers

dragonwing - update - have you fixed it?

well it turned out being notings real serious, i guess when i put the axles in a cpl weeks i forgot to tighten a bolt or 2.

well here is what it was: the main problem was apparently the strut mounting bolt was loose on the spindle, as soon as i jacked it up and yanked on the wheel i seen it. i was also missing the bolt in front that helps hold the strut on.

a couple other things i noticed was that my bolt for my caliper was missing and i was missing 1 of my hub bolts, i just pulled the bolts off of my parts that i have kicking around and now it drives great again. feels much better offroading as well, thatnks for all the advice guys.

you know this would make one of those great diagnose the problem threads lol

My first thought was EA81 style wheels (which would rub on the caliper) on an EA82.......

Ehh? One of my sets of ea81 mags are on my friends ea82t wagon - no rubbing, they just stick out the side a little further.