Ultimate Subaru Message Board

catalytic converter question

i have a a 88 TURBO full time 4wd a/t wagon, if i was to remove the catalytic converter ,the one right at turbo [ football shape] and put 2 in or larger pipe there ,and run 2in pipe all the way back to exhaust , how much more hp would i get ? how about mpg ? + make car run alittle cooler ?

i have a a 88 TURBO full time 4wd a/t wagon, if i was to remove the catalytic converter ,the one right at turbo [ football shape] and put 2 in or larger pipe there ,and run 2in pipe all the way back to exhaust , how much more hp would i get ? how about mpg ? + make car run alittle cooler ?
Maybe 10-20hp, mpg would improve slightly, cooler? i don't think so. A 5 spd trannie would be a good improvement if you want more power to the ground.

...A 5 spd trannie would be a good improvement if you want more power to the ground.

I don't think that that is an option as IIRC that is MRS. 86subaru's car! :grin:

I would still keep a catcon on this, but just a high flow 3-way cat. I don't think the HP will increase as much as vanislru suggests unless your current catcons are clogged; unless you go to higher boost you should not see higher than original-stock HP. You probably would see less boost-lag, though.

You might think about an intercooler, as it might give more real-world advantages.

I was thinking he'd have 2" from the turbo back but after reading it again I see he means the second cat. A good improvement would be to use a quality boost controller. Even if you use stock boost the turbo will still spool faster because the wastegate is not open until the controller actuates it.