Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch cable adjustment

My cable is not just right in the adjustment and I'm not sure if it needs tightened or loosened......

It was very light feeling (very easy to push in pedal) before I hooked the hill hold back up, but didn't engage the clutch until it was at least 3/4 of the way released.

I hooked the hill hold up and just snugged it up, didn't tighten it much past taking the slack up and now my clutch feels different (stiffer I assume because of the return spring on the hill-hold cable). It is a little harder to shift though - the car shimmies a little when I take off in 1st gear which it didn't do before and it doesn't shift as smooth. I'm guessing I need to tighten the adjustment on the clutch cable?

The hill hold works, but I don't want to fry my clutch with the wrong adjustment.......

Sounds like it needs tightening. With the return spring off, there should be just a little slack in the release lever. I think it should correspond to about 10mm slack at the pedal.

As long as the clutch cable is not tight with the clutch pedal released, and the clutch disengages enough to change gears etc with the pedal depressed, you wont be doing anything any harm.

Both adjustment specs are right on the money altho I use about 1/8" at the transmission end and 1/2 to 3/4" at the clutch pedal end. Do that with the hill holder disconnected. After the clutch is adjusted, hook up the hill holder and tighten it until you can get a dime between the spaces on the hill holder spring. Use the dime as a feeler guage between the coils of the spring. A dime's worth is just right for that adjustment. If the clutch feels light it might be normal; some of the Subaru clutches feel very light; if they feel heavy, it's usually because the grease in the cable is gone. I've never been able to control where the clutch grabs in the travel; seems to be totally a function of how much wear on the clutch. Watch the pedal play; as the clutch wears, the adjustment gets tighter and if not corrected, the clutch will start to slip.