Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trans replaced!

Yippeeee!

I FINALLY put my spare '81 transmission in the PKmobile, and also went from the 15" alloy Pugs to the 14" steels. MUCH better gearing now, especially in the 3rd and 4th gears. NVZeno said it would help, and boy oh boy, it does. Now I am smack in the power band, 3200rpm in 4th is about 72mph (GPS) I drove about 25k at 4000rpms in 3rd. Now I can use 4th a LOT more. with the stock '84 trans I couldn't even shift to 4th until about 70 (4500+rpm)

thanks for the tips, Dave and Brian!

time to go bush bashing!

Mendo

Hiya Dave,

Glad the ole girl is stompin well. She really makes use of that EA81 motor - strong runner huh? What size tires did you put on the 14s? You should get better gas mileage too now; gonna love that at $3/gal. Bash away!

Hey, on another note, I recently got a Honda NX650 thumper dual sport - reminds me of the Dakar. Gonna sell the Pacific Coast -its just too civilized for me.

Hey PK!

Yes, that is a strong motor. Sure got cooked down there in SD, tho...just about every bit of rubber I've replaced in that engine compartment has been toast. I replaced the front main seal and it fell apart in my hand. Also swapped in a new PS rack. NO LEAKS!!!

The new tranny is much tighter, the synchros are all sweet, and the trans mounts are.....better. Not good, but better. I am going to do the window weld idea posted elsewhere and make new ones.

The tires are Michelin 185/75/14s. I had them on the old 'Roo, been sitting while I wore out those Walmarts. Unfortunately, I have flat spots on the alloys, if anyone on the board wants them they are available. Apparently I like to bash things more than I realize....:brow: Can't feel them, but they are visible if you look closely. There is about 10k more meat on the tires. I will probably go 205/75/14 next.

186k on the old girl!

That NX is a nice light bike. I am leaning towards the R1200G/S, but they are pricey.....still, probably be the last big bike I'll get, so why not? I have a '73 Honda 125 Scrambler to flog in the mud.

Mendo