Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TOD or piston slap?

How do I tell the difference?

Whatever it is, the engine runs quiet when it is completely up to operating temp. Not untill then. Shut it off for 1/2, the darn ticking is back. Pretty loud too.

Have tried MMO. Gunk brand "valve medic". 10w30. 15w50, and others. No help. This 1985 NA, EA-82.

Pyro

ea82 motors dont usually have piston slap. Sounds like the TOD...

Reseal the oil pump (If its within factory spec.) or replace the pump. I replaced my pump about a month ago. If yours has never been changed, its about time for it. 20 year old oil pump.

over time, the rotor wears out due to impurities in the oil. This ends up leaving too much of a gap between the rotor and the engine block. This means lower oil pressure, which causes the HLA's to not pump up, or be able to maintain their pressure.

I resealed my pump 3 times with no luck of stopping the TOD. That's why I said replace the pump if it was out of spec. If you have the pump off to reseal anyways, why not run a feeler gauge on it and see if it needs replaced.

I forgot to mention that I have pretty good oil pressure, for what it's worth. 70 when cold. never drops below 20, hot engine, at idle. This is on a good full sweep mechanical guage, new. between 50 and 60 when curising. does this hel with diagnosis?

by the way this is one, quite loud ticking sound. Not a clatter. One loud ticking.

Also, best friend is a very experienced mechanic. (I'm not saying he's good, just experienced, though not whith Soobs) Tonight he told of his "test" to determine piston slap from lifter ticking.

He said to start engine, pull plug wire. If you find one that makes the ticking goes away, it's piston slap. If it doesn't, it's a lifter. Is he full of beans?

I went out and pulled them one at a time. Ticking remained.

So would a collapsed lifter keep ticking if that cylinder had no spark, or not?

I get his theory that if it was piston slap, it would shut up when not under power. But I don't know if it's true.

Comments please

Thanks guys.

pyro - k heres what we are going to do.. we are going to take this word, piston slap and send it to the new forums. these old cars dont usually have piston slap. replace the oil pump seals and if that doesnt fix it, replace the pump.

enough said

pyro - k heres what we are going to do.. we are going to take this word, piston slap and send it to the new forums. these old cars dont usually have piston slap. replace the oil pump seals and if that doesnt fix it, replace the pump.

enough said

OKOKOKOK! Got it. I'm convinced. I believe.

Sorry to be so stubborn. My ancestors are from the "show me" state. I take little at face value, and it makes sometimes hard to get along with. I apologize for being annoying.

After several hours of reading and research, I ansewred my own question. Apparently it's true that most bottom end sounds will "evaporate" when spark is removed. Not so with valve train sounds.

As usual, I recieved good advice here. I should learn to trust more. You know, "old dog, new tricks".

Thanks Torxx.

I was gonna start tearing down the front of the motor this morning, but two inches of fresh snow!!! Crap.

Pyro