Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'd appreciate some direction from anyone who might have some insight from experience here.

I was driving home last night on the interstate and exited to pick up something. My 95 2.2 has been running perfectly fine. After the quick stop, I get back on the interstae and my car has no oomph. The engine would push to about 2K RPM and then it would do nothing--pushing the pedal further got no response. The RPM would try to go up, but then level off at about 2000 again. No warning lights. No error code. Gauges looked normal. No engine noise.

Anybody know what it probably is? I was going to go ahead and swap in a new fuel filter and start there. I know that's not it, but it will let me be doing something while someone points me in the right direction maybe. If it was a fuel pump problem would it still run normal at a low RPM? Thanks for any help.

When that happens, can you rev the engine higher than 2 K while declutching or in neutral?

In neutral--auto trans--I can rev the engine, but it still does the drop in RPM. Doesn't really make any sounds--which is why I don't think it's anything mechanical--just sounds like it's choking if you give it too much gas. Since it does this in N or 3 or 2 or 1, I assume it is not transmission related. I drove it about 6 miles home on the interstate at about 55mph---the car normal so long as I didn't give it much gas.

I've never had a fuel pump go bad. When they go do they go suddenly or gradually? I doubt this is the problem, but I don't know...

As far as TPS or other sensor failure, if it were having that kind of effect of the engine, wouldn't that throw a check engine ligt and give a code? My gauges all have stayed normal and no check engine light has ever flashed.

Thanks.

On top of the good info already given and beginning with simple things you could replace the fuel filter if it's been there for a long time. Could be clogged.

It could also be a fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator problem (you need a fuel pressure gauge to assess that)

It could also be a clogged cat. Short of removing and inspecting, you can use a vacuum gauge to check that. If it comes to that, i can give you the test procedure for checking the cat with a vac gauge.

Good luck!

On top of the good info already given and beginning with simple things you could replace the fuel filter if it's been there for a long time. Could be clogged.

It could also be a fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator problem (you need a fuel pressure gauge to assess that)

It could also be a clogged cat. Short of removing and inspecting, you can use a vacuum gauge to check that. If it comes to that, i can give you the test procedure for checking the cat with a vac gauge.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yeah, if the other things don't point me anywhere, I might ask you for those cat procedures.

I'm popping in a new fuel filter this afternoon. In the past I have always changed those before there was ever a problem, so I don't have the experience of "feeling" a clogged fuel filter. It's like everything just happened all at once instead of a gradual change, though.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Well, I swapped in a new fuel filter when I got home from work yesterday and that seemed to fix the problem. My wagon is driving back to normal now, so that was a lucky break, as the fuel filter was a pretty simple task. Thanks for the input. We'll see how driving goes for the next 2-3 weeks.

I replace my fuel filter every 30000 miles as recommended by subary. Did yours clog before 30000 miles?

Thanks

To be honest, I have no idea how old that fuel filter was. I was a dork for not changing it sooner as routine maintenance, as I bought the car used. I know the vehicle went back to the deal for all scheduled maintenance with the original owner for most of the time he owned it, but don't know anything about the fuel filter specifically.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I put in the new fuel filter and everything was going smooth as new for almost a month until today. The car started doing the no power and cut out past the 2000 RPM mark on my wife. Guess I'm back at square one again.

Since removing the fuel line from the fuel filter (and maybe the new filter) seemed to fix it, could this be a problem with fuel pressure? I'm not versed enough to diagnose this, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had the same problem. Seems odd to be "fixed" when I swapped the fuel filter and then happen a month later...

Okay--I just back in from the driveway. I undid the in fuel line to the filter and turned the key to make sure the fuel was pumping fine to the filter--that was fine. I did the same thing with the outgoing line from the filter and made sure the fuel was going through it w/ a steady flow. It was fine. Then I start the car and it doesn't cut out at that 2000 RPM point anymore. Drove it around the block and it ran good enough. Felt a bit less responsive that it should be torque wise, but there was no cutting out or missing. The engine didn't ack like it was starving.

So, what's the deal? Something not regulating the fuel pressue correctly? I'm not fuel injection person, and it's even been a long time since I've fiddled with the Holley carbs I used to run. I'll have to re-read the shop manual I have and see if it can explain anything for me and help me troubleshoot. I assume we can rule out the fuel pump and the fuel filter. The nearest Subaru dealer is an hour away, and I'm not so sure who to trust to diagnose it correctly in town...

Thanks for any input!

sounds to me like you got a bunch of junk in the tank and it may be plugging the fuel lines/filter..

you may wanna drop the tank and clean it out.. or else change the fuel filter every few weeks. (this may burn the pump up tho with alot of resistance in the lines)

i place my bets on what i said above..

If the problem persists it may mean the pump is bad. They can work good for a while then cause those those kind of problems.

might want to take the tiger out of your tank....those things rott all the time....:lol:

could be contaminated fuel for sure....

good luck with the prob....