Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intercooling for Dummies. (I did it)

I need to know what diameter the TB is for a EA82T (non spider intake). I am about to do my Intercooler, and I want to goto Home Depot to buy some PVC for the job.

Can anyone who has done the job tell me what size pipe was involved?

-Brian

I'm also about to begin an IC install on my ea82t; any tips, info, specs, and insults welcomed.

Okay, here's what i got...

(2) 90 degree elbows. Both are rubber, and have a 2 3/8" Inner Diameter, with a 2" bend. I got some 2 3/8" PVC pipe, and a 2 3/8" to 1 7/8" reducer (for the turbo).

So far, everything attatches to the Intercooler without a problem. I just hope things hook to the car as easily.

Pictures:

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

Soon i'll have pix of it inside the car.

-Brian

Cool, Brian. I have the 10-row version of the SAAB IC. You need to flip the IC over, rotate it 90 degrees and shorten the plumbing as much as possible. (the inlets will be reversed too) That's the way they are retrofitted into the Legacys. That'll move it more over the engine, but allow airflow when you put in a scoop. I know you've been to legacycentral.org - they will tell more about using fuel filler hose or silicon versus regular, and clamping so you don't blow the hoses off, etc, etc. r/ PK

Thanks guys. It will be sitting like this for a while until I get some better pipe made up. I do have a boost gauge, and After I run the IC for a week or so, i will make a MBC to increase pressure.

Patrick, i used to frequent LegacyCentral, but I cant keep up with it anylonger. Ive dumped all the other boards and primarily focus on the USMB.

I just made brackets for everything, and its snug as a slug in a rug... and the I/C aint going anywhere.

Tiny... yes, but better than nothing :)

-Brian

Looks good brian

Only recommendation I would make is to try to move it forward a bit so that when you get a scoop it sits more squarely in the airflow path

I agree with moving it foward a bit, but it looks hot man! Better than my "Hardware store/Exhaust pieces" setup and mine works great. Keep it up :headbang:

I hope this hose I used works out. Its not as stiff as I'd like it to be, but i thought to myself "it only has to hold up to 11psi max" at the store, so I bought it.

I cant seem to get the IC any closer to the throttlebody right now, not unless I find a better pipe from the Turbo to IC. The setup I have right now, is as compact as I can get it... and thats whats keeping the IC so far back.

Right now i just plumbed for my BPV and whatever hose came off the plentum.

Dr.Krazy... do you have any closeup pix of your BPV installed? I Plan on installing it where yours is, but havent come up with a way to connect it to that part of my intake.

-Brian

I just took it on its maiden voyage. It seems like it accelerates alot better. I took it to 5.5k without any hesitation at all.

One trip around the block, and then i lifted the hood. The IC was nice and hot. So i know its doing its thing :)

I let the car idle, and examined the hoses. I also revved the engine while holding one of the rubber elbow's. Yeh, this hose isnt going to do too good for long term. It will have to do for now, but I can feel the hose bulge... and i could even see it. Im kinda affraid to increase boost in fear of bursting a hose.

We'll see... :) I will have to start shopping for some real pipe now.

Without the Bypass valve, i hear a ton of fluttering in my intake. Like its comming from the air filter but im sure its the turbo'd air not being able to escape.

-Brian

Indeed I do...you can see some older but possibly better pics at my RX build website in my sig (which is sadly not up to date since I started working on the RockyMountainRoos.net site)..or look at these slightly newer ones. I used a "T" from a coolant flush kit to tap into idle air hose to run to the BOV which is stuck right in the side of the air intake.

kn1.jpg

kn2.jpg

looking good.

yeah that rubber hose will not last long at all. you need reinforced silicone hose. and air flow as you already know to make that thing work. I can see the silicone hoses that I installed on the turbo and heater lines in your pic. ahh memories of RX fun.

oh yeah I have a sure fire way to hook up that BPV to your set up. its called a welder. I can make you some good solid fitting adaptors if you like. you saw the ones I made for mine right?

back to the IC plumbing. you will want the flexible connections to flex as the motor moves and the IC stays put. they make special connectors with a bulge in them just for that reason.

well you know how to find me if you want some help with it.

Im finally getting 2 days off now Russ, i need to make a trip down to San Jose :)

I priced Silicone hose, and for 90 degree bends they're $63 a piece :eek:

Im looking for a cheaper solution than Silicone (although, it looks so pretty). There's a muffler shop behind my work, im going to talk to him tomorrow and see if he can just bend up some 2.37" pipe.

I have plumbed my BPV already. Did it today after work. A day of driving without it was giving me the willies... i kept expecting something to explode (like the cheap hose I got for the install).

So far its all working out great tho, the car feels like a whole new car. I cant wait to install my scoop.

-Brian

I was wondering about hood clearance on the IC to throttle body 90 bend...It needs to be super tight...

Silicone 90's are WAY too expensive...Here's two links with options for the IC to throttle body elbow. Both are really tight radius and actually are both well priced.

Cast aluminum elbows are available here, these in my opinion are the best choice for this particular bend. You'll have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and check out the "Cast Aluminum Elbows"

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/mandrelbends.htm

REALLY tight radius mandrel bends are available from here...I guarantee these are the tightest radii bends you will find...Also a really really really good option...Good prices too, plus you get the choice of aluminum AND stainless steel... This is the best place for a SUPER clean intercooler install...You can get your turbo up-pipe, a straight pipe to run to the i/c and your intercoler to throttle body 90 elbow.

http://www.woolfaircraft.com/elbow.htm

Hope this helps guys,

Daniel