Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Misfiring at beginning of accelerating

Not sure if this topic has been addressed previously, but I'm new to the list so please forgive.

I have a 2001 legacy wagon (4 cyl.) that occasionally misfires at the beginning of accelerating from stop. It doesn't happen ever time but is progressively getting worse. I've tried fuel treatment with no luck and am preparing to change the plugs. Any suggestions with regard to changing the plugs (gap setting, getting to the plugs, etc.)

Also any suggestions regarding what else it might be would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tdanner

Just got finished chasing same symptom. My '00 with 70K miles started missing very occasionally in Dec. Not badly but sometimes annoying. No codes set. Got worse ever so slowly until finally would not climb hills in cruise control on the freeway.

Was the plug wires even though they tested ok.

Same problem for my 98 OBW years ago. Codes said a miss on cylinder #3, but everything related checked out fine. Decided to exchange parts one at a time with new ones, and a new ignition coil solved the issue, even though the old one checked out as good.

I have a 2001 OBW and it was the plugs and wires. I bought the third time around bosch platnium 2 plugs and after about only 25K my car started to hesitate a bit and then a little thump here and there. With in another week or so it began to misfire. I even had the CEL come on detecting the misfire, but it went out while driving. Ran right to Autozone and picked up the Bosch platinum +4 plugs and a new set of wires. The plugs are $5 a piece and the wires were $25. They do wonders.. I have about 25K on them and they are still perfect. They are even pre gapped and no gapping is required. Just take off your air intake, and the windshield washer tank and you are good to go. I did the plugs and wires in about a half hour. Usually I end up cleaning a few things, checking all the fluids etc. SO an hour should do the trick...

My 97 Outback has 161,000 miles on it and I have Magnecor wires, so I figured replacing the coil was due. Part number for the ignition coil for my model/year is 22433AA360. Retail was $100, but I got it from Liberty Subaru for $75 +S&H by mentioning this message board. The guys up there in Parts really take care of you - thanks guys!! Installation is 10 minutes - 10mm socket on a 6" extension to unbolt it, unplug it, and reverse that for install, and that's it!

Now a couple days of driving to see how she's doing. If it's the wires, they've got a bomber guarantee, but I'd be surprised if they were bad. I'll post again in a few days with results. maaahhhhvelous!

I've had the same symptoms several times. First it was hesitation and almost got t-boned with my wife and kids in car! It was a bad spark plug wire.

Hesistation under load, but at higher speed was due to my spark plug O-rings leaking oil into my spark plug cavity. Replaced with brand new plugs and dumped engine stop leak into oil. BTW, leaks happened twice and always after putting Mobil1 synthetic in. Think the stuff's too good ;)

Exact same symptom you are having now after changing the plugs. I went to regap and noticed a hairline crack in the insulator. I installed old plug and problem is completely gone. It doesn't surprise me since spark plugs are fragile and crack can occur if someone has dropped the package on the floor.

There is a guide on how to test your coil. I don't recall the site, but maybe someone can post or PM the link to you.

Hope this helps now and in future if you have similiar problems.

Not sure if this topic has been addressed previously, but I'm new to the list so please forgive.

I have a 2001 legacy wagon (4 cyl.) that occasionally misfires at the beginning of accelerating from stop. It doesn't happen ever time but is progressively getting worse. I've tried fuel treatment with no luck and am preparing to change the plugs. Any suggestions with regard to changing the plugs (gap setting, getting to the plugs, etc.)

Also any suggestions regarding what else it might be would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tdanner