Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey All,

I'm hearing/feeling a clunk upon takeoff from a dead stop at the left front wheel area of my 1996 Legacy Outback 2.2 5M w/ 148k.

Three months ago, I had both front outer CV joints/boots replaced by my regular sub shop.

Two weeks ago I had the oil changed at a quick lube place, and two hours later, I went over a bump, heard what sounded like a tool flying around under the car, and that was it.

Today I heard the clunk for the first time and I can't figure out what shop to take it to first!

Thanks for advice!

Cardy

Try to isolate where the sounds is coming from better. I doubt it's just a loose tool.

Check the inner CV joint. It makes a clunking noise when worn. May be bets to replace the whole half-shaft with a rebuild.

Hey All,

I'm hearing/feeling a clunk upon takeoff from a dead stop at the left front wheel area of my 1996 Legacy Outback 2.2 5M w/ 148k.

Three months ago, I had both front outer CV joints/boots replaced by my regular sub shop.

Two weeks ago I had the oil changed at a quick lube place, and two hours later, I went over a bump, heard what sounded like a tool flying around under the car, and that was it.

Today I heard the clunk for the first time and I can't figure out what shop to take it to first!

Thanks for advice!

Cardy

Make sure your lug nuts are tight.

I brought my car to have new summer tires installed and they had not tightened the front left wheel properly? I was able to turn all 5 by hand. That's how loose they were! Thank goodness I didn't loose a wheel on the highway.