Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crankshaft

Has anyone had experience with an EA81 crankshaft that has a forward to backward play of 64 thou.You can pull and push on the pulley and measure the amount of movement at the flywheel end. Is it repairable with a new set of bearings? or is it gone too far? If there is that much play and movement ,is the crank itself likely to be F****** I know it also involves new head gaskets etc.Is it more trouble than its worth? Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Jude

That's a thrust washer that's causing the front to back play.I just sent a PM.I'll try to even up or send a replacement.

My turbo EA82 has the same play but it runs excellent,no leaks either.But it sort of scared the heck out of me when I had the engine out.It's not a lot of play but enough to hear it when you move it back and forth.

You don't have any up/down-side/side play do you?

No it is not.Centre main bearing takes the crankshaft thrust loads.

I see that you're correct.I wonder why my friend who has nearly 30 years with Subaru told me mine was a thrust washer.This guy is a Senior Master Tech.Is there a thrust washer at all in an EA82T?I don't have my manuals handy.From the looks at the early 70's manual I do have,it's obvious that the center bearing carries the thrust on the early engines.Thanks for the info.Sorry Jude.Talk to you soon.