Ultimate Subaru Message Board

skid plates

My 87 GL D/R 4WD Subaru has a factory skid plate. It doesn't strike me as something that will take a LOT of abuse (and it has holes in it), but it will protect the oil pan.

Unless Subaru has some sort of significantly more sturdy skidplate available (I doubt it), you're probably best off making one yourself. It shouldn't be too difficult once you find a machine shop that can bend the metal (or weld it at the right angle).

-=Russ=-

My 87 GL D/R 4WD Subaru has a factory skid plate. It doesn't strike me as something that will take a LOT of abuse (and it has holes in it), but it will protect the oil pan.

Unless Subaru has some sort of significantly more sturdy skidplate available (I doubt it), you're probably best off making one yourself. It shouldn't be too difficult once you find a machine shop that can bend the metal (or weld it at the right angle).

-=Russ=-

ya my 85GL doesn't have one

I really need protection for the oil pan

If you have the mount bolt holes for it, you could call around to some junkyards & see if anyone has one. I can't imagine there's a huge demand for them.

You could post a WTB thread in the Subaru Classifieds.

Finally, the best option is probably to find a friend who can weld, get some 1/4" or 1/2" plate metal, weld it into a skid plate, and bolt it on.

-=Russ=-

If you have the mount bolt holes for it, you could call around to some junkyards & see if anyone has one. I can't imagine there's a huge demand for them.

You could post a WTB thread in the Subaru Classifieds.

Finally, the best option is probably to find a friend who can weld, get some 1/4" or 1/2" plate metal, weld it into a skid plate, and bolt it on.

-=Russ=-

dude, 1/2" plate is WAY overkill. I would do 3/16 with reinforcement welded on behind it for strength, 1/4" if I was too lazy to do some welding. A totally flat skid plate is a poor design, because the forces its designed to handle are in the direction it is weakest. Going thick on material to make up for an inefficient design would make for a heavy subaru!

all 4wd ea81 and ea82 came with skid plates. the holes are there on 2wd models, and ea81 and ea82 plates are the same. go find some 4wd at the junkyard and grab the plate and its 4 bolts. if any are not present on 4wd's someone may have taken it off to change the oil/pan gasket

ive noticed that the plates fit the new subueis as well, if they are revers compatable, you could get arally skid plate from primitive racing, they make some strong parts from what ive heard.

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm

i know they use alot of their stuff on their rally car.

they even have 10 layer carbon-kevlar armor for the under sides,:slobber: