Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo XT timing belt install?

I bought an 87 subaru AWD turbo XT that had a bad timing belt and i cannot get it to run - i assumed the little round holes in the cam sprocket should line up w/ the little slot marks in the top of the housing w/ the crank at TDC. although everything spins, the motor appears to have no compression. i can only assume that i either have it together wrong or the valves have been bent. also what would the firing order be and i was told the #1 cylinder is the front pass side cylinder. any suggestions?

thanks

I bought an 87 subaru AWD turbo XT that had a bad timing belt and i cannot get it to run - i assumed the little round holes in the cam sprocket should line up w/ the little slot marks in the top of the housing w/ the crank at TDC. although everything spins, the motor appears to have no compression. i can only assume that i either have it together wrong or the valves have been bent. also what would the firing order be and i was told the #1 cylinder is the front pass side cylinder. any suggestions?

thanks

You do not line up both cams at the same time.Look at the heads and you will see each cylinder numbered ,stamped on the head.First line up the passenger belt, the little hole lines up with a slot cut in the back of the timing cover..Set this belt and tighten.Then turn your engine over a turn until this cam has the little hole pointing directly away from the slot(pointing to the 5 o clock position )Now your drivers side cam hole lines up with the slot on its side.Put simply,when one is up the other should be down.I hope Im not confusing you .

Good luck

Jude

ok this is common where the marks are assumed up and tdc. i have seen people leave their soob in the shop and pay $$$ to have the mechanic install them wrong and and say bent valves

there are a series of 3 marks that means all the cyl's in th middle of the bore. line up the driver side cam first. rotate crank 360. lune up passenger cam. rotate 3 60 again. now rotate untill you see the tdc mark and align the disty ti #1. its the fartehst back terminal to the right of the screw, the rotor will point at the hill holder

if you never removed the disty then leave it there where its at.

read this and you cant go wrong

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/timingbelt.htm