Ultimate Subaru Message Board

15" Volkswagon Wheels?

Okay,here goes my first post. I now have two Subaru's, a 85 GL hatcback and a new 88 GL hatcback. About a month ago I purchased a set of 15" wheels that supposedly came off of a Volkswagon. They are similar to wagon wheels. The tires are P165/15. They bolt right up and gave me about 2" more ride height. If anyone has ever heard of using these reply back with pros/cons.:-\

what kinda volkswagon did you get those off of

Don't have any idea, but looking around at the local junkyard all of the older bugs have 4 lug 15" wheels with P165/15 tires. I have them on the 85 hatchback and they don't rub at all. I am just wondering what size tire I can run without a lift. I think a 205/65-15 is the biggest I can go.

Don't have any idea, but looking around at the local junkyard all of the older bugs have 4 lug 15" wheels with P165/15 tires. I have them on the 85 hatchback and they don't rub at all. I am just wondering what size tire I can run without a lift. I think a 205/65-15 is the biggest I can go.

ok ive never seen a 4 lug air cooled vw EVER.

is this it?

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D1002

do they fit perfect or do you have to redrill

Okay,here goes my first post. I now have two Subaru's, a 85 GL hatcback and a new 88 GL hatcback. About a month ago I purchased a set of 15" wheels that supposedly came off of a Volkswagon. They are similar to wagon wheels. The tires are P165/15. They bolt right up and gave me about 2" more ride height. If anyone has ever heard of using these reply back with pros/cons.:-\

Pics please!!!!!!!!

assuming those wheels acutaly work on your car... 205 65 r15 fit well on my hatch, with no lift. i think i could have gone a bit wider and a bit taller if i wanted to. but even those tires, needed a bit of trimming on the front of the front fender. and i had to remove the front mud flaps.

side wall height (inches) = (tire width x series (60, 70, 80 ect) x 0.01)/ 25.4

tire over all height (toah) = rim diameter + 2 x side wall height

the normal height for a factory tire (165/70R13) = 22"

you say the ride height went up by 2" meaning the tire was 4 " greater overall height or toah of 26"

series = 25.4 (toah - rim dia.)/(2 x tire width x 0.01)

for a 165 on a 15" rim means this was an 85 series tire?

Sorry for no pics yet. I only have acess to net on weekends. I'll try to get some pics up this week. The wheels are factory steel wheels and have not been modified or redrilled. I talked to a guy today and I think he said they were from a 1968 to a 1972 beetle. The newer jetta's also used a four bolt pattern but it is a smaller bolt pattern. There are beetles out there with these wheels on them. I saw about 15 today. I was also incorrect about the ride height. I only gained about 1" to 1 1/2", seemed to be a lot higher. I'm working on a set of 14" star pattern wheels on a beetle at this guys lot. They are aftermarket. Check out the beetles if you have anyone around that works on them or at junk yard. Later!

Sorry for no pics yet. I only have acess to net on weekends. I'll try to get some pics up this week. The wheels are factory steel wheels and have not been modified or redrilled. I talked to a guy today and I think he said they were from a 1968 to a 1972 beetle. The newer jetta's also used a four bolt pattern but it is a smaller bolt pattern. There are beetles out there with these wheels on them. I saw about 15 today. I was also incorrect about the ride height. I only gained about 1" to 1 1/2", seemed to be a lot higher. I'm working on a set of 14" star pattern wheels on a beetle at this guys lot. They are aftermarket. Check out the beetles if you have anyone around that works on them or at junk yard. Later!
I don't know how you got them to fit, because 68-72 super beatles had the 4x130 wheels!!!