Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine puter

ok, on my 85 carbed engine, there is a computer module under the steering column, EXACTLY what does this control.... my car started cutting out tonight, sputtering, stumbling, whatever you want to call it, while I was going down the road. If I unplug the puter, it runs fine, with the puter it cuts out. ????????????

Carb + 'puter = Feed-back carb on engine. California models were that way, along with some others. Should have/had O2 sensor on Y-pipe.

Not sure what the all 'puter controls on these things, so I can't help you much there. Honestly didn't think one would run without 'puter hooked up though. Hey, if it works that way, why worry!!

Could be that the 'puter went FUBAR on you. Not sure if it would swap in, but the '82 had one in it, I don't need it anymore. Yours if it'll work.... Anyone got input on that?

*2nd edit* Is this an EA81 or an EA82? The following was assuming it was your EA81. *end edit*

The computer uses feedback from the O2 sensor to vary the duty-cycle on one or two air-valve solenoids (dependent on carb model, IIRC) that bleed air into the jetting circuits of the carb. Essentially, without the ECU the carb will run a little rich, and with it working properly its bleed air will cause the carb to lean out. By varying the on/off times to the solenoid(s) the ECU can control the A/F ratio.

On my 2-bbl Hitachi, the pair of solenoids is "USA drivers-side", and slightly rearward, of the carb.

I would check for vacuum leaks and PCV operation, but its possible that the ECU has "passed on". Does the "code light" on the ECU (faces driver) turnon/blink?

BTW, other than emissions and the usual problems of running slightly rich, disconnecting the ECU isn't damaging. Or, you can just disconnect the electrical connector(s) at the solenoids.

*edit* How is the ignition system? Good NGKs and good plug wires? "proper" A/F ratio on your engine will put more stress on the ignition than the run-rich mode will. *end edit*