Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3spd AT on 90 Loyale hesitates

If it's been parked a while, the tranny doesn't want to kick right in. It will sit there and slip for 15-30 seconds before kicking in and going, forward or back. This tranny was professionally rebuilt a little over a year ago while the guy I bought it from owned it. What kind of problem am I most likely looking at? It runs and shifts great the rest of the time, and it doesn't do it at all if you start the car and let it warm up before you get in it to go somewhere. Thanks.

If it's been parked a while, the tranny doesn't want to kick right in. It will sit there and slip for 15-30 seconds before kicking in and going, forward or back. This tranny was professionally rebuilt a little over a year ago while the guy I bought it from owned it. What kind of problem am I most likely looking at? It runs and shifts great the rest of the time, and it doesn't do it at all if you start the car and let it warm up before you get in it to go somewhere. Thanks.

I have a dumb question, when's the last time you checked the tranny fluid? Sounds like it was all replaced a year ago, but maybe a seal went or something?

I have a dumb question, when's the last time you checked the tranny fluid? Sounds like it was all replaced a year ago, but maybe a seal went or something?

I guess I should have mentioned that. Tranny fluid level is fine, and the fluid looks good and doesn't smell burned.

Try changing the vacuum modulator... get a COMPLETE tranny fluid flush from a dealer, (about 135 bucks) they will run new fluid through the system as the OLD fluid gets pushed out.. when you get it back, remove 1 pint from the system with a 1/4 inch tube attached to an electric pump directly down the dipstick hole.. replace 1 pint with a pint of SEAFOAM TRANS-TUNE.. about 6 bucks.. this should clear up the problem.. oh, you may want to take off the governor and sit it in WD-40 for an hour.. or do the "de-burring" technique.. this should make yer tranny shift nicy nice

I tried looking up a filter for the tranny on autozone's web site and they indicate it's not available. Does this tranny use a screen instead of a disposable filter?

Unless they changed the design from earlier, it only has a screen. Sometimes an inline filter is installed in the cooler hoses near the radiator. I would go with the governor cleanup first (no cost except your time), and I personally would disassemble it and debur/polish the sliding surfaces. BTW, I have lost a lot of confidence of late with "professionally" done things, so I am a little cynical and suspicious.

The problem you are having is the same as one I recently fixed on a tranny for a 92 loyale. It was very sluggish and I assumed it needed a tranny swap. Just for grins I pulled the governor and checked the two plungers and one of them was sticking. I carefully took the governor apart and cleaned each part, then reassembled it. The instant I put into gear it went right in and I even spun the tires on dirt in first gear. It was a very simple repair and I know ther are detailed instructions on the board.

Good luck

• 1 year later...

I put in another governor from a parts car I bought and it fixed the problem for a little while. Then it started doing it again. I just never did get around to taking the governor apart and fixing it before I got rid of the car.