Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP...Found crack in exhaust port of the Turbo Side Head!!!!!

Marck

I am trying to drop my front exhaust (crossover) pipe enough to clear the studs so that I can replace my blown exhaust manifold gaskets. I pulled off the the downpipe and removed all the nuts off of the studs that hold the crossover pipe on. Now I am trying to get the crossover pipe to drop, but it won't. The turbo is still resting on the crossover pipe. I didn't want to deal with removing the turbo completely. I was thinking that if I raise the engine 2 inches, then I might be able to jiggle the crossover pipe loose. I loosened the pitching stopper and took off the two nuts that hold the front engine mounts to the crossmember. Then I placed a floor jack with a block of wood under the engine's oil pan and started jacking. My problem is that the engine does not want to move up without the rest of the car. What do I do? What else is holding the engine with transmission to the rest of the car? Do I have to loosen the transmission mounts? Will I be able to drop the crossover pipe without removing the turbo?

Alright, I finally got the engine up a couple of inches. I just kept jacking it up at the oil pan. The car moved up with the engine until a certain point and then the engine started to move up with out the rest of the car attached.

Now I am trying to get the crossover pipe free from the studs. The pipe is so warped that it is rubbing up against one of the studs on the driver side head. I might have to remove that stud. Well back to work...

I pulled one of the studs out and the crossover pipe finally came out. As I was looking with my flashlight inside the exhaust port of the turbo side head I noticed a small hair line crack. Does this mean I will be shopping for a new head in the future? Is this crack in one of those places where it is okay to be? I did not see any coolant, so could this mean that the crack is too small to be a problem yet? The car was running great before I started working on it. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Hoe long could I run on this head?

What should I use to clean out the exhaust port? I was thinking of using carb cleaner.

I got pictures of the crack. They are a little blurry. The crack is on the right side of the ridge. It crossed over the ridge and then goes down the sides of the ridge.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/techperor/exhaustPortCrack.htm

I need to know if I should be worried about this crack. I need to know if there is anything I can do to fix or slow it down before I put the exhaust back on. And I need to know how long I will be able to drive on this head.

This crack is on the exhaust port of a generation 2 turbo side head.

I hate cracks:boohoo:

Marck, the info I've heard is this: Cracks between the valves are OK if not too bad. Cracks between the exhaust ports are not OK. I would suggest taking a close look at the other head too. If your were not having problems you could probably reassemble and start looking for a head. I don't think there is any way to fix it but you might be able to keep it from getting worse by keeping your car cool, a hot engine could make it worse fast. I would be looking for a head though and not going on long trips.

good luck.