Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can you remove Hill Holder 85 GL Wagon

We recently replaced the Clutch on our 4WD Wagon. The clutch cable is frayed and looks like it is about to snap. I would like to take the hill holder out of the picture entirely. I think I can just remove the Hill Holder Cable from the Rocker Arm Assembly and be done with it. Has anyone done this?

Theres a spring on the HH mechanism that acts as a return spring for the clutch fork. If you dont want it sticking to the floor, you may want to put a spring on it.

Gotcha, I know a guy here in town who removed his but I have not been able to track him down to ask him. I will check his wifes car to see if he put a spring in. If not then I will put one in her 85 as well as mine. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

i took mine off yesterday an now it seems that the car drives somewhat better,thinking the HH was sticking a little.the way i look at it,if you need the HH to help you out.then you need to either practice alot more or get a automatic.:-p

oh btw,took mine off on a 94 ej-22 that has the return spring for the clutch on the pedal itself(which i also had to replace awhile back.)

I was reluctant to teach my nephew how to drive a manual with that Hill Holder. I want him to know how it really is to be on a steep hill and need to use the clutch and gas to keep you steady. of course there is always the impromtu Hill Holder called the E-Brake. Either way I am concerned about it sticking just a tad because the adjustment is kinda touchy. Thanks