Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 94 Legacy which occasionally shudders and stalls or shudders and recovers...usually when it has a load..heat and AC or acceleration most often when the engine is cold.At one time this happened and we changed plugs and wires at 60K and 75K because we thought that was the problem,but I cannot find a record of the coil pack being changed and I keep all records (is this expensive to change?), and the Car Talk guys said this was a frequent problem and they have changed the coil pack.. Any related problems and cures out there? We had another 93 with the same problem as did two other people...and no code came up and no one knew what to do except let it run a while before acceleration. Thanks for your help.

When you say no code came up. Did you pull the codes or were they pulled with a Select Monitor at a dealership? Just wondering because if there is problem, I would think a code would present itself. Might be a sensor or something to that effect.

I would check out Legacy777 website for instructions on how to pull the codes from your car. I would also to a tune up on the car, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, pcv valve. If these don't help, then we can go from there. Eliminate the simple problems first.

I would check out Legacy777 website for instructions on how to pull the codes from your car. I would also to a tune up on the car, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, pcv valve. If these don't help, then we can go from there. Eliminate the simple problems first.
Thanks for the reply.. I have been fighting this thing since the 60K maintenance...I thought they had done something wrong at the dealership...they are honest but since I am dependent on them there is just so much I can do as an older female ...I am a gardener...but I used to carry the tools for my brothers, so I was most disturbed when they said a man would just turn off the engine and start again...like I am going to do that on the Interstate...Anyway. I will take the car for the requisite tune up and ask for the coil pack to be changed as well....as that is the only thing not changed for 60K, So I guess it is time for some maintenance.. I am in charge of keeping all the wheel running since we had children driving, but my spouse likes to do cheap/easy fixes.. I just want to do the right one. Thanks for you input. DAB

I once replaced the plug wires on my old Sundance just as a maintenance item, and later developed a hesitation issue. After months of fighting it, I changed the wires again to find the problem disappeared. Seems like I had a faulty wire somewhere. Perhaps you may be experiencing something similar.

I'd also get the alternator checked out. Do you find your battery sometimes weak? It may be working, but just barely high enough voltage to do so. Under load, it may simply not be putting out enough juice to keep things going.

The problems started right after the last time you had the car in? What did they do?

The problems started right after the last time you had the car in? What did they do?
Actually the problems started the first time I took it in at 60K...plugs, wires, pvc, fuel and air filter...just normal maintenance.. Since then they have run for free the computer code checker...and once it came back and our friend at the dealership said..this cannot be right..if these things were wrong it would not work...and now just the check engine light and the misbehaving problem at 140K. I think the carbon is on the sensor and the friend at the dealer said it is just an emission thing and we are not in a place where one must change it...I went by and they will order a coil pack and bolts for it...easy enough to change, and indicated they would pass on wholesale price.. now that would be a gift. We shall see, they are really helpful and honest...just pricey. Folks seem to live with the problem..the parts manager has a car which does the same thing and he lives with it...knew two others who either lived with the problem, or gave the car to family. Since the 60K maintenance, another mechanic did virtually the same work thinking maybe there were bad wires...I don't think so. Thanks again.. we hope to sort this out before the need for AC in South Georgia...I love my Legacy...I do not want to drive the new one my husband is driving. DAB

It would be really helpful if you could get the codes from the car. You can do it yourself, or get somebody to help you, it is very easy and might help.(Legacy777 website) No offence but maybe they don't really know what they are talking about.

It would be really helpful if you could get the codes from the car. You can do it yourself, or get somebody to help you, it is very easy and might help.(Legacy777 website) No offence but maybe they don't really know what they are talking about.
I will try to get the codes... I do have them on one repair sheet from long ago, but nothing changed after that...They are honest, but not very deductive or intuitive...not problem solvers in the old sense but parts changers...they do good work when they do it, but honestly other than this problem, I have had only tires, and boots, and brakes and regular oil and filter changes. I told the older men about the legacy777 site and they were quite interested. Perhaps your comments will make them a better facility..they are locally owned and operated...home town folks in a metro area of 50K. Will try to get the codes. Thanks again...DAB :)