Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello from a new member, (living in Black Forrest, Colorado)

I am in the midst of doing water pump/crank seal/cam seal/timing belt job on a 92 FWD sedan (142K miles) which my daughter usually drives at college. Learning a lot about the EJ22 engine. Have always liked the Legacy. Hate the repeating oil leaks though! :mad: Decided to do it myself this time. This is my first go at it. Discovered this USMB while searching for details on the current work. What a great site.

Finally got everything pulled off and cleaned up. Ready to do rebuild next weekend. Need to get replacement timing cover and rubber seals due to heavy oil saturation and subsequent swelling/distortion.

I have seen frequent references to oil pump and O ring. I don't see any sign of oil leaks except around the crankshaft seal and the cam shafts, but not exactly sure where the trouble would show if oil pump/O-ring was leaking. I prefer not to disturb it unless it is necessary. Any advice welcomed!:)

When this one is done will need to do the other '92 AWD SWagon as well. It is at 210K miles

Hello from a new member, (living in Black Forrest, Colorado)

I am in the midst of doing water pump/crank seal/cam seal/timing belt job on a 92 FWD sedan (142K miles) which my daughter usually drives at college. Learning a lot about the EJ22 engine. Have always liked the Legacy. Hate the repeating oil leaks though! :mad: Decided to do it myself this time. This is my first go at it. Discovered this USMB while searching for details on the current work. What a great site.

Finally got everything pulled off and cleaned up. Ready to do rebuild next weekend. Need to get replacement timing cover and rubber seals due to heavy oil saturation and subsequent swelling/distortion.

I have seen frequent references to oil pump and O ring. I don't see any sign of oil leaks except around the crankshaft seal and the cam shafts, but not exactly sure where the trouble would show if oil pump/O-ring was leaking. I prefer not to disturb it unless it is necessary. Any advice welcomed!:)

When this one is done will need to do the other '92 AWD SWagon as well. It is at 210K miles

Clue.

If you are getting any oil leakage in the area of the oil pump (which is driven directly by the crankshaft, and surrounds it at the front end), I would recomend pulling the oil pump off, getting a new O-ring, retorquing the screws on the driveplate, and replacing the seal. If you are also getting oil leakage at teh camshafts, I would put new seals in there while you have everything all apart. In addition, did you say you were replacing the water pump? If there is any doubt to it's condition, I would.

Water pump is shot, with 1/8 inch slop in bearing. Vehicle had been driven for some time with oil leaks, but water pump failure and overheating, necessitated repairs.

New water pump is in place, and so is replacement crankshaft oil seal.

The old seal had crept out of its housing and had heavy wear on the back of the seal from rubbbing by the back of the timing belt pulley. Appears this is where the worst oil leak was occurring.

Am I correct in assuming that I have to destroy the new seal now to get at the oil pump? (Darn! should not have put that seal in yet)

There is so much oil about it is hard to determine whether oil pump is a souce or not. Guess I'll have to do it.

Have also replaced idlers, since they were slightly rough when spun by hand.

When new belt was put in place it became apparent that inside right timing belt cover and gasket were rubbing on edge of belt. To get to the cover the cam pulley had to come off. Then saw that slight leak at cam seal had occurred.

Have the old cam seals out, and will obviously replace with new.

This is becoming a saga, but I hope Legacy #2 will be a lot quicker.

Your comments are appreciated.