Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 forester namual trans.- changing the "low" ratio???

hi guys

i want to change the "low" ratio in my forester.

the original reduced speed is 69%, my goal is 50% but if it's impossible- i am ready to compromise to 55-58%.

i am looking for a kit to buy. if there is not- a design will do. if i won't get a design- my mechanic will open the transmission (and i am going to add a "phantom grip" to the front diff. i already have one in the rear that works great), and i will design new gears (i am a mechanic designer).

if anybody knows anything about it (possible or not, names of people or workshops that have alredy developed such), please respond.

thank you

pini

Check out 33% lower low Range gear sets out of Australia...

If your Forester is already Dual Range, I will put money on that kit working for you.....It is Made to fit the older 5 speed Hi-Lo boxes out of 85-90 cars, but I've been into a few AWD 5 speed boxes, and the front end Internals Look the same....

I can't remember the outfit down there Selling or producing them, But if you go to

http://www.AUSubaru.com and inquire about it I am sure they can tell you if it works or not...

Good Luck and Let us Know if it does Work...:)

John.....

hi Josh and John

my forester already has duel range transmission.

by using the "short handle" the speed of the whole "normal" range is been reduced in 31% (the ratio is 1:1.45).

i (actually, my mechanic will do it) want to open the transmission and replace the "low" range gears, to acheave a bigger reduction, so i (my forester) can "crawl" slower on technical surfaces.

my goal is 50%, but since i have heard some warnings about risking mechanical parts (in one hand), and impossibility of that operation (in other hand), i'll may compromise on 55-58% (if there is a technical possibility).

i prefere to buy a kit, but if there isn't any, or the reduction is too small, i'll open the transmission and design the gears myselp (i am a mechanical engineer).

so, John, if those 33% mean 33% reduction, it isn't enough.

i'll be happy to hear more replies.

thank you

pini