Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Sube! New Questions...

Guest jclay

Hi all,

I've finally got my new sube on the road, it's a '97 Legacy L, 2.2 AWD. I drove it to work for th efirst time today, and am loving it so far. Naturally, a couple of questions have come up, with more to follow in the near future, I'm sure...

1) the lighting behind the climate control panel isn't working (i test drove during the day) the little lights behind whichever button/setting is depressed work, but shouldn't the whole thing be lit, and tied into the dimmer? Please advise on repair...could this be a fuse, or is it a bulb? everything else works fine...

2) the rearview mirror seems to be loose, when i try to flip the lever down as protection against lights from behind, the whole thing moves...can this be tightened in any way?

3) is there are way to read codes? do i need a OBD2 scanner or something?

4) where is the resovoir for the rear wiper fluid? I didn't notice one.

Thanks in advance, there will surely be more questions as i learn and discover more about this car.

Best,

Jared

1) You need to pull the dash apart. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2498&page=1&pp=10&highlight=Climate+Control+Backlights has some info on doing it.

2) I've learned to deal with it. Maybe you could glue it in place? I dunno...

3) OBD2 scanner will do it. Auto Zone pulls them for free...so this might save you money, unless you are always getting a code.

4) It comes from the one the front does.

1) More than likely you need to replace the bulb. My 95 Legacy wagon has the same deal--I've just been too lazy to do anything about it yet. (I've got some sweet fog lights I want to install first...)

2) Mine has always been loose too. I've not even tried to fool with it. My wife's in her Volvo wagon is too stiff, so I know I'm gonna rip mine off one day when I forget what car I'm in...

Congrats on the car. I've been driving mine for nearly 6 months now and love it.