Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You have a larger engine than me (2.5l...I have a 2.2 in my Outback) and i've had mine to almost 110. Anything over 100 gets kinda scary in it...

It really depends on when it will redline and how flat of the surface. I think 115 - 120 might be the realistic top speed that you could get to without miles and miles of flat road. It might take a while to get to that speed, though. Take a look here: http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25754

Someone might have have listed a similar vehicle.

The German-spec 2005 Outback, 165HP, 5MT, is rated for a top speed of 123mph and a 0-62mph time of 9.8s.

BTW, Al, the 2.0L, 138HP, 5MT Legacy wagon is rated for a not-too-shabby 120mph. So you wouldn't exactly be blowing past me on a hypothetical Autobahn.

• 6 months later...

The Legacy GT (naturally) *and* the Legacy L (2.5L) are faster (cornering and straight line) vs legacy outbacks mainly because of their lower stance to the ground in the case of the L..atleast that's what we found at some club racing at shelton,wa.

The Legacy GT (naturally) *and* the Legacy L (2.5L) are faster (cornering and straight line) vs legacy outbacks mainly because of their lower stance to the ground in the case of the L..atleast that's what we found at some club racing at shelton,wa.

And the reason is simple: lower ride height. The higher you are above the ground, the worse the cornering will be, and the more unstable the car will be at speed. You want the car to go faster, lower it 3" and call it a Legacy. :brow:

Oh, and I'd bet that the ECU has a lower fuel cut off due to the handling limitations. Then again, from what I saw in the top speed thread, perhaps everything is set to cut off at 120MPH?

That would just be sad. . .

Funny I can never get around that rev limiter at 112. Scares you into thinking something blew though.

My '98 2.2 L wagon topped out at 112mph too. It was hardly pushing 5,000 RPM and wasn't loud at all. In fact, it wasn't until the computer cut the fuel and stalled the engine that my wife woke up. You're right, powder, I thought something had blown. Turned out the only thing blown that day was my wife's fuse when she woke up and saw how fast we were going.

Juan

I've had my mom's legacy outback (97 w/EJ25) up to 105 mph...and it did NOT take long to get there. (BTW: It was in a 35mph zone:brow: ). I haven't tried to max out that car, but my buddy's Impreza OBW is governed at 112.

You say that it's really loud above 4k...unless there's something wrong with the engine, it shouldn't have any trouble. I drove at 90mph in the aforementioned Legacy outback for 250 miles and it didn't miss a beat. The thing actually kept trying to creep up toward 100 if I wasn't paying attention.

Cruising-Speed.jpg

This was before the governor stepped in. However, I have a 4EAT and have heard they top out at 112. I guess that means that I gained 4 MPH somewhere along the line. LOL.

If you look closely at the position of the needle (and with a pic that large, it should not be too hard) you will notice that it is on 110. How is that gaining 4MPH on 112? Heh, I also noticed the fuel guage. That s about where mine goes when I push those speeds as well. That is also where my 92 speedo goes to easily (pulls up to there fine, then creeps to the top of 120, perhaps it is governed as well?).

OK, now a question to make this thread worthwhile: Is there a way around the fuel cutoff without changing the rest of the ECU functions, and without loosing the Cruise Control (this means you cannot cut the line from VSS2 to blind the ECU to the speed)?

Hmm. I distinctly remember the speedo on mine pointing at 115 before my friend and I decided that we'd better allow room for slowing down. Maybe I'm wrong. It really doesn't matter. All I know is I can outrun my dad's car on a long strip because his tops out at 109. Unless he chips it. Then it'll run out of steam at about 130. I'll just have to hope he doesn't chip it.

There's pics of gen 1 legacys pegging the spedo, and the 4EAT was considered faster because of the higher ratio top gear. The thing that scares me most about high speeds is the possibility of tire failure. My car has 10yr old mud terain tires with cracking rubber. You better believe I was thinking about that when I was topping at 97mph.

The speed governors are often calibrated to the speed rating of the tire the car came equipped with from the factory, for liability reasons.

The speed governors are often calibrated to the speed rating of the tire the car came equipped with from the factory, for liability reasons.

This being why the '04 Pontiac Grand Prix GT is limited to 109 and non-RS and Z28 Camaros (and non-Trans Am Firebirds) were limited to 112.

Honestly, though, I find it a little stupid that companies could be held liable for that. Just because you can do a thing means that you should do it or that it's even safe to. You can jump off a cliff if you want. It's not safe. Your body isn't rated for the landing. Do you sue your parents for producing an unsafe product in your body? No.

If they really need an out-clause, just put a thing in the manual that says "Your tires are not rated for speeds over [something]. [Car Company] will not be held liable for damage caused by driving at excessive speeds."