Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How loud is a NA EA82 with a presilencer & straight pipe?

I'm planning to replace the exhaust on my GL this weekend or next, because right now it leaks so badly that I actually don't get any exhaust flow out the tip.

The current plan is to put a glasspack/presilencer at the back of the Y-pipe (no cats), straight pipe back, and possibly another muffler at the rear end.

My goal is improved power over stock, but also a fairly quiet exhaust note on the highway. The GL rides & drives like a luxury car, it may as well sound like it too. Growl when wide open is fine, but I don't want any sort of drone at highway speeds. I don't know if just a presilencer will do this, or if I should add a muffler as well. Possibly 2 glasspacks, one at the front, one at the rear?

Suggestions?

-=Russ=-

well i had a few different setups when i had the SPFI in the wagon

first i had stock y(with cat), stock resonater, no muffler>pretty loud but not to bad

2nd: stock Y, no resonater, no muffler> really really really loud, sounded compareable to a harley with pipes, sort of:rolleyes: . lots of poping when in high rpm's and letting off the gas

3rd: stock Y, no resonator, 2 1/2" pipe, OBX canister> not too loud and perfect IMO

4th: cateless Y, no resonator,2 1/2 pipe, OBX canister> it was loud again and anoying..without the cat i lost back pressure and my lowend suffered

hope that helps

That setup will be LOUD. Glasspacks really don't do much. I'm pretty happy with my Flowmaster imitation muffler from Summit Racing ($15) with a straight pipe going to that. It makes some noise but nothing that I consider annoying, even on long drives (14+ hours).

dont do what i did and take off everything a foot behind the y-pipe, it gets a lot of attention and lost a lot of low end torque i did notice a small difference in higher end but nothing outstanding, before this i had everything stock except a glass pack were the muffler used to be, sounded good, also i cleaned out the cat by hitting it on the ground man, a lot of junk came out of that thing.

Heh heh.

My exhaust systems keep removing themselves right behind the catilytic converter. :rolleyes: The EJ22 sounds nice like that, kind of a v8 rumble when idling and a nice howl up high. The EA82's sound bad though, real harsh and lots of backfiring. I did some illeagal driving with my old one and I had to have the pedal just right to coast without making noise, little too much and it would rip the officers ears off, little too far off and it would sound like a gunfight. The blue flames out of the back of the cat are cool though. :grin:

• 1 year later...

Glasspack works excellent as center baffle/muffler, gives way less back pressure and a mellow bellow, obviously lesser restriction. Only real noticable flaw was glasspacks are heavy ("flow tech redhots" == 7lbs) and old y pipe needs t have strong hanger at back of tranny.

Very non-annoying and gaining performance. I did this to my humble loyale recently, kept oem muffler in back (no packing, long lasting).

something i've seen more and more lately, has been bike mufflers. not in outrageous sizes, usually 2.25 in and 2.5 out. seen them on a couple integras, one on an FC3S (second gen RX7), and quite a few on the 80's corollas. my brother picked one up for his car for free, bike shops usually give away the stock pipes when people upgrade exhaust. just a thought.