Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake pedal feel question

whatg would cause a soft/mushy brake pedal? I've bleed the ************ out of EVERYTHING (calipers, MC) and its still soft, the car stops fine its just the pedal feel it crap. car is the 88 RX

A worn caliper mount causing excessive movement/travel.

Soft/old flexible brakelines stretching under pressure.

Poor quality brake pads with highly compressible material.

Firewall flex?

Thats about every idea i can think of.

A worn caliper mount causing excessive movement/travel.

Soft/old flexible brakelines stretching under pressure.

Poor quality brake pads with highly compressible material.

Firewall flex?

Thats about every idea i can think of.

Bad brake fluid can cause spongyness, but if you've bled the %^$*% out of it you've probably very near replaced it anyway.

Sure its not your shoes?:lol:

Rear shoes seem to need manual adjustment on a lot of the Subarus - I've met some that were so far out of adjustment that I was amazed it stopped.

Also, leaking rear brake cylinders can let air in - if one or both rear brakes are slimy, wet, or generally anything other than really dry (assuming you haven't been fording rivers lately), you should probably replace the cylinders.

A master cylinder going out can cause brake issues.

-=Russ=-

Rear shoes seem to need manual adjustment on a lot of the Subarus - I've met some that were so far out of adjustment that I was amazed it stopped.

Also, leaking rear brake cylinders can let air in - if one or both rear brakes are slimy, wet, or generally anything other than really dry (assuming you haven't been fording rivers lately), you should probably replace the cylinders.

A master cylinder going out can cause brake issues.

-=Russ=-

Both my 85 and 86 wagons have rear shoe adjusters that still worked automaticly. Just back up fast and slam on the brakes a few times. I was suprised they still worked, I read hear on the board that often the auto adjusters are shot and rusty, and thats one reason (amongst others) that so many folks go to disk in back. (which I hope to do some day)

Pyro

ok lets start with the answers

1. RXs' had rear disks as they were/are turbos

2. speed bleeders all around

3. bleed in an X pattern like the fSM states

4. braided SS brake lines

5. new pads and rear rotors, turned the fronts

6. brake pads are PBR metal masters and rear pads are everstop metallic(sp)

and more questions

can I get more info on the worn brake caliper mount being worn. fronts are from the 89 parts, rears are factory I'm guessing so that could be it. and the Master cylinder is from the 89 aswell but could be bad, I'm going to switch it out with another one I have just to check. thanks for all the help

get rid of the speed bleeders. they are crap..your better to bribe a friend with a 6 pack.

get some good fluid. Motul is great stuff.

the spongey feel though..it could be a worn master cylinder.

Speaking of worn out master cylinders, who has rebuild kits for these? We used to just hone the bore and drop in new rubber. Part#? (I have a shot in the butt extra one I want to rebuild.

Yea, we chased mushy pedal for a couple hours before figuring out bad master. Love my donor car! Even then for great pedal had to adjust rear shoes.

Pyro

its just soft, with the engine off its hard as one would expect but just driving around its soft. the car stops fine its just the pedal is soft. and why are the speedbleeders crap, do it sideways? I like them. I'm thinking it is the MC right now thou.

get rid of the speed bleeders. they are crap..your better to bribe a friend with a 6 pack.

get some good fluid. Motul is great stuff.

the spongey feel though..it could be a worn master cylinder.

Bull; speed bleeders rule. I've had great luck with them.

not yet haven't had the time and I need to get the scraping/grinding noise taken care of first. I just bumped it so maybe DIS will tell us why he doesn't like speedbleeders. as I love them and I'm guessing you do aswell

i've never actually used them. However i was recommended by a brake manufacturer here to not use them. None of the road racers, rallyists or even serious solo guys even think of using them.

you just don't get all the air outta the lines....for a street car they are fine...however on a race/rally car...where heat is a huge concern, i wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

I always take a good amount of time bleeding my brakes, making sure all the air is outta the lines..i often go over all 4 corners atleast twice.

I've tried just about every method. Speed Bleeders gave me the best results. Front speed bleeders were a direct replacement of my OEM bleeders. The ghetto one's I rigged up for the rear are still holding on after much hard offroading. They are clamped onto the OEM bleeder in the rear calipers. I simply left them on with the OEM bleeder shut. Haven't fallen off yet :drunk:

brake_bleeders_006.jpg

Heat could be the biggest diffeerence here. If they were super heated, as brake parts tend to do at high speed :brow: , I 'spose they could malfunction. Mine never really see high speed action ;)