Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 89 GL10 wagon failed smog!

Can anybody tell me what I might need to replace to get it to pass. It failed at idle only. I live in California so it has to pass smog.The max for HC(PPM) allowed is 120. Mine is at 191. the co(%) max is 1.00. Mine is at 3.40. What could be causing this? The inspector checked the timing it was right on according to him. His thought was that it might be the cat going bad. Or possibly a leaky fuel injector. I don't want to pay a mechanic to fix something I can fix. Just not sure what the problem is. I have a newer exhaust from my 87 GL10 wagon that I could use to replace the system on my wagon now. That is probably where I will start if there are no other suggestion but I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks.

Can anybody tell me what I might need to replace to get it to pass. It failed at idle only. I live in California so it has to pass smog.The max for HC(PPM) allowed is 120. Mine is at 191. the co(%) max is 1.00. Mine is at 3.40. What could be causing this? The inspector checked the timing it was right on according to him. His thought was that it might be the cat going bad. Or possibly a leaky fuel injector. I don't want to pay a mechanic to fix something I can fix. Just not sure what the problem is. I have a newer exhaust from my 87 GL10 wagon that I could use to replace the system on my wagon now. That is probably where I will start if there are no other suggestion but I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks.

oxygen sensor maybe?

• 4 weeks later...

Tried again today to smog it and it failed again! This time it passed at idle and failed at 2500rpm test. I changed the cat and tuned up the engine. The tech guy said I might have a vacum leak. He said the o2 and cat are fine now. My question is what else could I check or replace to get this thing to pass smog. Help! I have to get this thing registered but is has to pass smog!

hmmm.... it seems that older Subarus have a really hard time passing smog. I honestly have no idea why the hell it's like that.... maybe they're not meant to? lol. What octane gas do you put in it? Good plugs and stuff? Disty timing alright? maybe i'm just stating the obvious.... i'm new to this stuff. don't be fooled by the number of posts.. lol.

Try running a tank with CRC Guarenteed to Pass (G2P) - has worked wonders for me - FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON THE CONTAINER!!! - use highest octane gas too - Chevron's Techron fuel additive works well too

Check wires, plugs, cap and rotor - all should be OEM (NGK for plugs) - failing at high rpm makes me think it is something along those lines, or dirty injectors (fuel additive cleans system)

the BIGGEST concern is that it needs to be at normal temp at the time of the inspection, I have "busted" shops for inspecting my car below normal temp and failing it (shop was less than a mile from my house, guy inspected it while I was on the phone to him, failed it, I went over immediately, and temp gague did not lift at all - after being off for less than five minutes) - doing so is a direct violation of the proceedure they are legally obligated to follow, and it will cause ANY car to fail inspection - unfortunately I did not have any friends at the DMV emissions office until recently......

Good Luck - getting these cars to pass emissions can be a real pain in the !@# sometimes

I just did a tune up. New cap, rotor, wires, plugs and I ran a bottle of red line fuel system cleaner through the last tank of gas. The timing is at 18 degrees and I am running 87 octane. I have to admit I am a little frustrated with my wagon right now. I also got it warmed up with a 15 mile drive on the freeway before I stopped at the smog station. So everything was nice and warm.

eek - um - I would try premium (I know for 1985 MY it spec's 90+ octane - I run 89) - yes fuel is EXTREMELY expensive, but it will probably help - timing should be 20-degrees BTDC too - 2-degrees can make a difference (I have failed once when mine was carbed b/c it was at 10-degrees BTDC - fixed it and passed)

I assume you replaced the O2 sensor? - reguardless of what the tech guy said, it won't throw a trouble code unless it is WAYY off - cheap possibility

here's a link to part of the 1989 FSM (look under EA82) - it does not have all the info on the turbo system, but it does have some of it:

http://www.finleyweb.net/default.asp?id=142

Good Luck!!