Ultimate Subaru Message Board

General Subaru Engine Info

gtxj

I'm trying to do some research on various Subaru engines and am looking for some good resources.

I'm thinking about using a Subaru engine in a custom 4x4 rock crawler. I think the fuel injected flat 4 would have many advantages over some of the other engine options out there.

What I don't have a good feel for is what the differences are between the different engine models are. I see numbers like EJ20, EJ22, EJ25, STi, etc. Where can I get some detailed information such as power output, type of fuel injection (TBI vs MPI?), bellhousing dimensions, etc.

What I'm most interested in is figuring out how I might get the right transmission and tranfer case bolted up to the engine.

Any links or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

All of the engines you listed are MPFI. The last two digits are the displacement. All of them are really about the same when it comes to adaptability to transmissions as they all bolt to the same transmissions and have the same bellhousing dimensions.

I would recommend the EJ22 non Turbo. These don't run as hot as the turbo models and have the most bang for the buck as they can be found in 90-94, 95, 96 and some 97 and 98 models but I would stray away from the newest ones as they moved to interference engines past 97 model year. The extremely minimal power increase is not worth it.

Id also recommend this engine as you can modify the wiring harness fairly easily and get advice from people that have done so for their VW Vanagon conversion projects all over the web including here.

I'd vote for the EJ22 n/a motor as well. They've got some balls and are TOUGH. Also, the 91 legacy, which had that motor, was voted the easiest car to work on by some mechanics association.

As far as trannies go, people have had good success mating subaru transmissions up to divorced T-cases out of Nissan pickups. Haven't done it personally so I'm not sure what is involved, but it's something to consider.

There's been a couple of guys who have used EJ engines for rock crawlers. Someone on the old board posted pictures of his. He made an adapter plate to bolt up a 2? speed powerglide to it. All of the US market EJ engines have Sequential MPFI.

Thanks for the reponses. You comment that they are all basically the same when it comes to adaptability to transmissions. Can I assume that the basic size of the engine is the same as well? I'm assuming the block has only seen minor changes over the years...

The reason I ask is that I might have an opportunity to pick up a junked out EJ22 for pretty cheap. If I start building around the carcuss and decide later that I want an EJ20 or some other variant, what are the chances it'll still fit?

As far as I know, you should be able to swap the EJ motors around without any problems. The DOHC models are slightly larger than the SOHC models, and of course if it's turbocharged then there will be more crap hanging off of it. If you leave a few inches breathing room, it should be fine.

EJ20, Ej22 and EJ25's use the same size shortblock, its just the heads that are bigger on the EJ25, which i would recommend steering clear of. Head gasket problems that the Ej22 never had and they are interference engines.

yeah go with the non interference EJ22. They are the easiest to work on. 6 bolts, and you can have the heads off the motor.. Can't beat that.

And with the right gear ratios, it'd be unstoppable.

The only thing you are really going to have to worry about motor wise out of the Gen 1 EJ22's is head gaskets

Since when are the head-gaskets on the EJ22 a problem? I thought that was primarily on the EJ25. Or do you just mean they're a pain to install?

yeah go with the non interference EJ22. They are the easiest to work on. 6 bolts, and you can have the heads off the motor.. Can't beat that.

And with the right gear ratios, it'd be unstoppable.

The only thing you are really going to have to worry about motor wise out of the Gen 1 EJ22's is head gaskets