Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need advice on what to do

I've got a D/R 87 gl wagon right now with a weber on it and its just not doin it for me. The thing is almost undrivably slow and its starting to fall apart. Right now its rear wheel drive(no front axels), idles poorly(most likely a vacume leak), Gets only about 18 MPG, I have to adjust the manual choke all the time while driving to be able to accelerate, throttle cable sticks bad, exhaust leaks bad, breaks are going soon, and a front wheel bearing is probably going.

For a while I was planning on trying to fix the vacume leak and getting the carb tuned correctly so that it would run decent but with all this stuff starting to go, I'm not sure that I want to put all the time and $$$ into it just to have a good runnning really slow car. I've got about $2k to throw around so I was thinking about getting something a little newer like a legacy or something but I don't think I like the idea of the full time AWD. The main reason I'm still holding on to this car I have is because nothing is really wrong with it now, its just gonna start going soon. It starts up every time for me and gets me where I need to go, and its not rusted out at all so its pretty easy to work on (pretty rare to find anything older than 5 years not rusted in Ohio).

So, my question is, should I get rid of it and go for a newer wagon, or should I try to tackel its problems and drive it till it explodes?

Also, If anyone has a good wagon for sale anywhere near Ohio for around $2k, let me know Thanks.

What is it that you don't think you like about FT4WD/AWD?

It just seems like it would definatly not be needed and would cause more headaches than it would be worth. I liked being able to choose for myself when I wanted it in 4wd(before my axle went of course). I have also heard about them having binding issues.

Shouldn't be any binding, the awd legacies ive driven are smooth as.

Your car shouldn't be that slow with the weber, if you like the car you should fix the vacuum leaks and any other probs and it should go well. THey are not exactly fast, but they should have plenty of get up and go for normal driving.

fix the car if you like it. everything you mentioned is minor and typical maintenance items for older cars. buy something for 2,000 and it will likely need work immediately or soon anyway. you may not know when the timing belts were done or how well it was taken care of.

First and for most, get a hold of some of the guys from the Subaru Alliance.

They are very helpful and in you general local.

PM or email Jim (86subaru) he'll get the ball rolling for you.

They may be able to do a team up on the car with you

or

find you something that works with in your budjet.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Ronnie:

There's a couple of us down here in C-Bus, and a guy in Akron. I do know that Miles Fox will be in your area (Akron) in the next few days , so you may be able to get him to look at it.

Email me if you want to hook up with any of the guys in this area. All of us have parts and info to help you out with whatever you want to do.

John

thealleyboy@yahoo.com

liked being able to choose for myself when I wanted it in 4wd(before my axle went of course). I have also heard about them having binding issues.

Binding issues are only a problem if you are in normal 4WD on a dry surface - FT4WD/AWD have a center diff to prevent binding from happening - should not be an issue

I would say your car is worth fixing - a major vacuum leak would cause all of the symptoms you are describing - hard starting, poor fuel mileage, loss of power

brakes are not hard on these cars - I did both front in one afternoon in the driveway by myself

are you sure your "bad front wheel bearing" is not just the wear strip of the brakes screetching? - anyway fixing all of the above problems would be easy, when you do your CV joints, you have to pull the steering knuckle off anyway, you can do your brakes and wheel bearings right then and there!

It would be very awesome if I could get someone that knows a lot about webers and subarus to help me out. I know that all the other stuff could be fixed pretty easily. I have read up a lot about wheel bearing replacement, the axles are easy, and the breaks seem easy. I also have a friend that could weld up a custom exhaust for me. If I could get the car running normally, I could decide then if its worth it for me to fix all the other stuff. The most deciding factor will probably be the gas mileage. I would be willing to drive down to columbus and throw down some cash to get this thing running right. It will probably be an easy fix for people that know what they're doing. All the emmisions stuff is off, which leaves a lot less stuff to be causing the vacume leak. I'll explain everything in more detail to whoever wants to help.

• 2 weeks later...
It would be very awesome if I could get someone that knows a lot about webers and subarus to help me out. I know that all the other stuff could be fixed pretty easily. I have read up a lot about wheel bearing replacement, the axles are easy, and the breaks seem easy. I also have a friend that could weld up a custom exhaust for me. If I could get the car running normally, I could decide then if its worth it for me to fix all the other stuff. The most deciding factor will probably be the gas mileage. I would be willing to drive down to columbus and throw down some cash to get this thing running right. It will probably be an easy fix for people that know what they're doing. All the emmisions stuff is off, which leaves a lot less stuff to be causing the vacume leak. I'll explain everything in more detail to whoever wants to help.

I would say...... do not look at every problem all at once...it does become overwhelming.......if you have the opportunity to hookup with some of the subaru guys in your area......you will not only have a great time but learn and get your probs fixed......don't sweat it all......

Bryan 0:)