Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing engine oil on '02 Outback

We just bought a 2002 Outback and will be changing the engine oil this weekend. Is there anything in particular we need to be aware of before doing this? Also we've always purchased Haynes repair manuals for our cars. I checked and there's not one available for the '02 Outback. Any suggestions on a good repair manual?

Thanks in advance!

Jo

Don't use fram filters. Replace the drain plug copper gasket EVERYTIME or you have a leak. I think that the 02's have a skid plate, if it does you will find three retaining clips in the front. Use a small flat head to pry the center plug thing out don't bother trying to unscrew it.

Any more question just pm me.

Jowens,

I have 93 000 kms on my 02 OBW, do my own oil changes, and have yet to change the original copper washer on the drain plug. It may be a good idea to get a few new ones, just in case you do develop a leak, so you'll have one on hand, but I've not needed one on this car, nor on the 97 OBW I owned before it. Use a flat bladed screw driver to pry out the centres of the three screw plugs in the plastic skidplate. Then grab the skidplate in the oval-shaped hole with the rubber flapper cover (it'll make sense when you crawl under the front of the car to look) and slide the skidplate door out. Place your drain pan under the drain plug, remove it, and unwind the oil filter. Its all very easy, since everything is right in the open, easy to see and get at, and you don't even need to jack up the car. Have fun!

If you plan on doing this for a while buy an oil drain valve from

http://www.fumotovalve.com/ with the hose stub and don't worry about the copper gasket, or the oil pan, or the drips and mess. I put a hose on mine, put the other end in empty windshield washer gallon bottles and drain. No muss no fuss.

Loosen the filter then slide a 1 gallon zip lock bag over and remove it.

Use an ABF oil filter (A.nything B.ut F.ram).

Purolator is probably the best aftermarket filter.

I'm hooked on the $2 WalMart brand filters; a decent performing filter made by Champion Labs at 1/6th the cost of a genuine Subaru filter.

Our '02 is still on the original drain washer. No leaks. Just don't overtighten the drain plug and you won't split the washer. The drain washer is just an excuse to add $1.50 to the cost of your oil change at the dealer.

Scott beat me to it! Fill the filter, it can swallow a great deal, you just need patience to let it settle.

On the drain plug washers: My local Authorised Subaru dealer insists on using flat aluminium washers. I get one free with the oil filter. No leaks, tighten to 40Nm.

Two things...

First, can someone elaborate on the problems with Fram filters??? I've used them in the past with no problems. Now I'm worried.

Secondly, I replace the drain plug gasket every time I change the oil. If you buy them in the parts department, they are very inexpensive (cost cents). I also NEVER have to put my car up to change, that is one of my favorite things about Subarus. I stick my head underneath and everything is right in front of me.

can someone elaborate on the problems with Fram filters??? I've used them in the past with no problems. Now I'm worried.

Look here. http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Scroll down to the Fram pictures. I've cut open a few used Frams also. Glue and cardboard construction that can easily fail allowing dirty oil to circulate constantly. Plastic Bypass spring valve for God's sake. Cheesy, ineffective anti-drainback valve.

I'm not saying that your engine will fail with a Fram filter, but they really are the worst out there.

The higher end Frams appear to be decent, but the basic $3 ones are total crap.

Beware of other filter brands that are merely re-badged Frams. (Penzoil, I believe and others).

I bought my Legacy used in 2001, and it never had a gasket on the oil plug, and I never knew it needed one.

I have changed the oil dozens of times, no leaks ever. I am not sure that the washer is necessary, at least on my car. I don't plan to ever use one if I don't need to.

Matt