Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift/mods/tires for my Soob. I missed the FAQ. . .

Tom63050

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want my Subaru to be an effective knockout punch to the local rednecks in their Fords and Chevy's. What do I need to do to make my Subaru an efficient redneck killing machine? I know I want a 3" lift and better skid plates too.... where can I find durable, inexpensive skid plates? And what kind of tires would be best for both on-road and muddy coniditions? I don't want tires that make too much noise on the pavement.

thanks to anybody who responds. Looking forward to showin 'em up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Zap, you beat me to it. The Frequently Asked Questions post has a bountiful amount of information for everything related to a lifted Subaru and offroading. Feel free to read it as well. It is stickied at the top of this forum.

I want my Subaru to be an effective knockout punch to the local rednecks in their Fords and Chevy's. What do I need to do to make my Subaru an efficient redneck killing machine? I know I want a 3" lift and better skid plates too.... where can I find durable, inexpensive skid plates? And what kind of tires would be best for both on-road and muddy coniditions? I don't want tires that make too much noise on the pavement.

thanks to anybody who responds. Looking forward to showin 'em up.

Worry less about proving something to them and more about building a Subaru you enjoy offroading. They obviously like full size 'mudder trucks'. Thats fine if you like mud'n. I like trails and hill climbs and I never see any full size rigs out on those becuase they dont fit! :lol:

Once people start seeing you on the trails in your Subaru the will recongize that you have capable ORV and love offroading just as much as anyone with a full size, jeep, samurai, land cruiser, tube buggy, whatever.

Cheap skid plates you are going to have to make yourself. Buy the steel and drill and weld them up as you see fit.

I like trails and hill climbs and I never see any full size rigs out on those becuase they dont fit! :lol:
Its obvious you've never seen me and my Bronco in the forest. :lol: ...and they say you cant fit a fullsize rig down a twotrack atv trail. LIES! :headbang: The MasterCard commercials dont do it justice.. that look you get from the ATVers that come flying around the curve and see a fullsize rig barreling towards them, dodging side to side to avoid misplaced trees... priceless. :eek:

okay.. end hijack. :D

But yes, Morgan hit it on the head. Build it up the way YOU want it to be.. not the way "they" want it. You can create the badassest (yes, i made that word up) rig around, and be accepted and loved by all in your offroad group.. however you could end up hating your creation, as it may not work as well or the same as their rigs do. Build it up however to where you'll enjoy driving it.

Okay.. that should cover an hour of my community service sentence.. hell yeah rock on. :banana:

I have a set of 14x6" wheels and I want to put some better tyres on them. I currentlly have 185/60's I done some calculations and some messurements and came up with these sizes (that would need barly and trimming, cos they all ad upto almost 27"s)

185/90

195/85

205/80

215/75(or 80)

235/70

255/65

What would you go for? For off-road of cause. Now I don't really have the luxury of brands as they are very limited around here :(

I was thinking either extremely wide or extremely narrow. I was also thinking the 195/85's sounds like a getable size.. I've never heard of "/90's" before. What would you pick?

I did a search but didn't really find anything... what's the biggest size tires I can fit on a stock GL without having to do any modifications? won't be able to afford a lift for a while, and I don't even know if I want one cuz after thinking a while..... I do a fair amount of highway driving and I don't want my already boxy wagon to catch anymore air.. so I thought a viable alternative would be to get bigger wheels and/or tires. and I may be willing to do a few mods..... like maybe some cutting around the fenderwells... I want at least 8 inches of clearance with the suspension adjusted all the way up. Thanks in advance... sorry if a similar thread has already been posted elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna get a 3in lift for my EA81 wagon. Can I fit 215/75/15 without any trimming or minimal, and if so could I fit 225/75/15. I want the wide tires. Also I can't find any 215/70/15 offroad tires. I'm thinking of getting these.http://www.wholesaletireoutlet.com/wto/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=126&osCsid=eb56e3fd3e41e98c680dc332aafc1cb7

im not sure but who would probably not have to trim very much. Those are the size tires i run and we had to take a litle for turning radius

Did you have to trim the front and back of fender? front and rear wheels?

• 2 weeks later...

i've got an EA81 wagon and im wondering what would be a good lift for it, i skimmed through the BYB and AA lift kit thread, and i read a lot of things i didnt get, like about angles and things, and about upward and downward travel, and im just wondering if someone could help me out a little so i can understand what i'll be getting into. thanks!