Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift/mods/tires for my Soob. I missed the FAQ. . .

Tom63050

I'll get in first.

You want a kit that won't change ANY of your suspension geometry, you want a lift kit that's going to take whatever you can dish out at it and you want a lift kit to suit your budget. I'd also advise on a lift kit that's proven itself to thousands of customers worldwide.

There are several kits on the market that do this. There are some that do not.

The next question is: How high do you want it?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what would be a good lift for my wagon (EA81) i want to go big but i dont want to blow through axles or anything, also i was reading about the BYB vs. AA thread and read about less up and down travel and everything, basically whats all that mean? oh, and what about tires, what size could you fit with which ever kit would be better?

• 2 weeks later...

redbrat2.jpg

PDC_0077.jpg

'82 Brat

5" lift

ea81 w/Weber 32/36 carb w/snorkel (soon to be built ea81)

5 speed D/R tranny

rear disc brakes

dual battery set-up

XT6 Alternator

SuperWinch S4500

large skid plate to cover y-pipe

roll bar

lots 'o lights

custom bumpers

BFG Mud Terrains

welded rear diff

rancho rear shocks

CB w/Weather Channels

As soon as my dad (urabus_tarb) and I get a shop put in we want to make our Brat into a strictly offroad vehicle, besides a lift kit and larger tires, what else would be good to do?

Welcome to the board. I think your in the right place.

There are tons of modified Brats around here.

I'd call it a "SmorgasBrat". Pick and choose what you like?

Are you thinking on using a Subaru suspension or mixing it up a bit with other parts?

The reason I ask is you'll soon be dealing with the gearing/tire size equation.

Everyone seems to come up with their own balance.

Using non-subaru gearing... will allow you a wider range of tire options.

But it does cost more...$

I'd assess your intended use and see what makes sence for gearing and tires.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

• 1 month later...

Here's the trimming done to fit 30"x9.5" Baja Widtrack Radials I originally had before switching to 29"x8.5" Liberator All Terrains.

Front fenders cut in half along trim line. Remove inner fender splash guards. Fold over seam in unibody in the rear of the fender well and pound it flat with the unibody. Pound as necessary for turning :)

custom_bumpers-02.JPG

Rear trimmed just as you see here. Door still seals properly.

triming_rear_for_29s.jpg

Can not see any triming when door is shut. The door comes out and covers it. Yes I know I'm a little young to be driving but I do wear a helmet! :lol:

padiwon_offroader.jpg

I need help! Im getting a 4inch lift kit from Allied Armament for my 1988 subaru GL wagon. And powder coated 15-6'' rims. but i dont know what tires to get? And i need to know how much power you will loose with bigger wheels and tires? because i dont want to loose a whole lot.

I have a '88 GL wagon also. With 29"x8.5" tires I really enjoy having the bigger tires offroad. I can still go 80mph down the highway when I need to. Be prepared to run WOT a lot; it's not a bad thing. Stock clutch holds fine and I can spin the tires on dry pavement with ease so its not like they are TOO big. Note this is for an offroad rig; I don't drive this to work every day.... only on Fridays :) However it's not a trailer queen. I drive anywhere from 2 hours one way to 6 hours one way to offroad and then drive back; gets me home more times than she breaks down :drunk:

The short: Offroad more than onroad? Go big. Onroad more than offroad? Wuss out and get 27"s or 28"s.

I'm quite happy with my 27s, had to do some bashing/cutting, but not too much. Much more would be necessary for anything bigger. And my car cruises quite comfortably at 70-75 in 5th gear at 1/2 throttle. 80's kindof tough without standing on the gas, unless the wind's working for you.

check the FAQ's for more info.

• 5 months later...

I want to lift my 1987 GL and want to hear from people who have different lifts. I have a set of 14" peugeot alloys lined up and do NOT want to have to do any fender trimming whatsoever.

I am undecided about 3" or 4 " lifts so just looking for pros and cons here.

Is there anyone with a 3 that wishes they'd gone 4 or the other way maybe.

My original plan was 4" and running either 225-70-14 or 215-75 or 27x.8.5x14

. still undecided and I have no others to compare other than pictures.

Just wondering if the extra inch height is justified or not.

Cheers

Ok, got 15x6 pugs today since I was able to score a set of four in good shape locally.

If I run a 4 inch AA lift kit on my EA82 can I run 215-75-15 BFG A/T's without cutting or pounding.

Those are the tires austin is running on his impreza... they're a 27.8" diameter... so you should be able to fit em. I'm gonna get a set for my imp. when i get some $$ :-p