Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift/mods/tires for my Soob. I missed the FAQ. . .

Tom63050

If you are only looking for a few inches why not look into some Forester suspension. Nice thing about subes is that alot of parts from others will work.

That would be a pretty cheap solution for you IMO.

From everything ive seen, im wanting to get some struts off a Legacy outback or SUS, hopefully that will give me 2-3 inches.

If i change the struts do i have to change the coils also, or could i use the brighton coils cause they are set up for the proper weight?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know every time ive seen this question pop up, the answer everytime has been to look in that post but ive even looked through it myself and it says nothing about what the largest tire size you can fit under stock is, and any other searching will most likely bring up the very same answer that was just giving, or maybe im just blind and cant see them.

on your question i cant say for sure, if you have the adjustable suspension then it will open up your options a little more, i myself went right from stock to 235/75 15's which took alot of trimming to fit with only a rear shock extension and adjusted up suspension ide say with the adjustable suspension you might be able to fit a 24 in AT maybe, or whatever that compares to on the other type of sizeing

for 13" wheels, 185/80R13 because that's the tallest 13" tire out there....

stock 185/70R13 is 23.2" diameter

185/80R13 = 24.7" which is about the biggest you can go on the ea81 based body styles...

195/70R14 = 24.7" as well.

the 85-94 EA82 based bodies can handle a little bigger I believe. up to about 25.5" maybe? not sure.

use the tire calculator here to determine the combos.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

I read the whole thing, top to bottom. Lots of info for people that lifted em, but nothing on stock. If it is there, I missed it.

The WHOLE thing?

post_old.gif 11-19-2004, 09:52 AM

avatar142_28.gifZapar user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_201892", true);

Deicidal Maniac

usmb_staff.gifcharter_member.gifusmb_donor.gif Join Date: Apr 2000

City: Seattle

State: Washington

Re: Frequently Asked Questions (help compiling answers needed)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4RnrRick

How about a lift req'd vs wheel size chart.....? and then use an (*) to show fender trimming.... Make sence....

That's a tough one. I've squeezed 28s under a non lifted soob. Subarubrat has 33s under a 12 inch lift. So the range is somewhere in between. . .

and the next line after that was trim till it doesnt run, this person asked how much without trimming. i think somebody needs to add something to that list giving aprox sizes without trimming, i would do it myself just so i dont have to see this same question for the 51'st time in the last year, except i have already trimmed my fenders up to fit the 27's i have.

people need to stop pointing others to this thread with the question of "how much without trimming" until somebody actually puts a tire size in here.

just my opinion.

Ok I'm sure this has been asked alot so please just point me to the right forum...

Who knows how to lift a late model leagcy? Wheels? Shocks? Who has kits? Anybody done one (Besides the AA wagon, I've seen it.)? My buddies front bumper SCRAPED in his DRIVEWAY! That is until it got unintentionally removed. In other words, he needs clearance, and something he can do that's easy on the wallet.

It's a 98 Outback.

The correct answer would be "Use the search function" and "read the FAQ". But you probably knew that, too

show me exactly where it says anything about a new generation coupe, i see all sorts of stuff on older roo's and imprza wagons but no coupes,

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP FOR A NEWBIE, :clap:

I think that is the common place to trim fenders. LOTS of other lifted soobs or soobs with bigger wheels/tires have to trim there because thats where the wheels hit when turning. I don't think many people trim in the back, usually no need to if you don't get wheels that are too big or if you have a nice lift.

There arn't really any consequences except maybe a little rust attack if you don't properly prime/paint exposed metal.

show me exactly where it says anything about a new generation coupe, i see all sorts of stuff on older roo's and imprza wagons but no coupes,

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP FOR A NEWBIE, :clap:

hey... it doesnt matter what car you're trimming on, the principles remain the same regardless. dont cut fender supports, relocate them if you need to, careful cutting near brake lines, fuel lines, and make sure there arent any electrical stuff where youre cutting. good way to find out where it rubs is with it on the ground turn the wheel back and forth and look around the tire where it would be close if the tire got pushed into the wheel well. rubbing is mostly a problem while turning. make sure you when you cut metal you sand prime and pant exposed metal to prevent rust. rubbing really isnt that bad, as long as nothing is damaging the tire, might rip off the occassional fender flare and dent things up but if its for offroad use, stuff like that is gonna happen anyways, as long as it isnt causing problems for the tire you're fine.

hey... it doesnt matter what car you're trimming on, the principles remain the same regardless. dont cut fender supports, relocate them if you need to....

all i was asking was if new legacy struts was all i needed to lift my impreza brighton a small amount or if i needed other parts, now that ive done the struts i have a real bad knock and im wondering if i need to replace the strut tops, or if the coils need to be replaced along with the struts

i don't want to do any trimming just want a little lift and a little bigger tires to fill the holes and look good. the struts alone gave me around two inches but the knock is driving me nuts.