Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wrong Axle??!!What now?? HELP!

So I replaced my right front axle today. Wasnt too difficult with all the posts on this board but I noticed that the inner joint(one with pin) felt a little sloppy when I was putting it on. Im not used to these so I thought it must be normal and the pin must tighten up the slack. WRONG!-I put it all back together and again noticed it felt a bit loose/clunky when i was messing with my hub. Sure enough when i tried to test drive it there was a loud clunk and a noise which sounded like the tranny "stubb" turning inside the new axle joint. I was so upsetthat I didnt even bother to look at anything but I called Autozone to recheck the part number and they said it was the one it called for. They said the 90 model had a different part number and told me to bring down my original axle and see if it looked to be the same size but I cant tell!! ANY ADVICE ANYONE?????----Thanx in advance!

Back in the day there were 4 different front axles.

82AC: 265mm between in and out boots, 1 ring on shaft, w/out cooling grove, 23 spline

87AC: 257mm between in and out boots, 2 ring on shaft, with cooling grove, 23 spline

95AC-23: 242mm between in and out boots, 3 ring on shaft, with cooling grove, 23 spline

95AC-25: 242mm between in and out boots, 3 ring on shaft, with cooling grove, 25 spline

23 spline = 27mm inner diameter where it fits over the transmission stub

25 spline = 30mm inner diameter where it fits over the transmission stub

To make a long story short you need the 23 spline or 27mm in/d shaft.

Is there any way to find out the correct part number? Is there one place thats better than another-say napa over autozone?

Back in the day there were 4 different front axles.

82AC: 265mm between in and out boots, 1 ring on shaft, w/out cooling grove, 23 spline

87AC: 257mm between in and out boots, 2 ring on shaft, with cooling grove, 23 spline

95AC-23: 242mm between in and out boots, 3 ring on shaft, with cooling grove, 23 spline

95AC-25: 242mm between in and out boots, 3 ring on shaft, with cooling grove, 25 spline

23 spline = 27mm inner diameter where it fits over the transmission stub

25 spline = 30mm inner diameter where it fits over the transmission stub

To make a long story short you need the 23 spline or 27mm in/d shaft.

Look inside the inner joint and count the splines; you have 23 on the original axle. They gave you an axle with 25.

They said the 90 model had a different part number and told me to bring down my original axle and see if it looked to be the same size but I cant tell!! ANY ADVICE ANYONE?????----Thanx in advance!