Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual-core radiator into non-turbo?

Guest samo

Hey all,

I've heard mention of the dual-core radiator from the turbo EA82 models fitting into the non-turbo ones for a significant cooling benefit. This is something that I'm very interested in, as my Soob has a hard life of 12 hour drives at 85+ MPH hauling 500lbs or more of show display stuff for my team.

I have, however, heard that with certain A/C setups, the dual-core will not fit, and I want to make sure this is not an issue before spending a bunch of money on a new Koyo. I've got a '92 Loyale 4x4 wagon - how can I tell if the A/C condensor will get in the way or not. or is this just a myth?

Thanks!

Guest wjmgl10

Dude...thats about the nicest Loyale I've ever seen...and some of the funny'est comments Ive ever read!

I dont see how different A/C system setups woudl prevent a Rad from fitting in..and I've seen 3-4 different kinds...

But my question is...where are you getting this Rad? is it all Aluminium construction or what?

Guest PoorManzImpreza

so that is what my car would look like if it wasn't beaten to $#!@

well if that car had PUGs and a white racing stripe down the side and about three mm of dirt it'd look like mine...

Kaz

LOL I think I have the lowest spec L series subaru on the board

Thanks for the compliments on the 'Roo - she's in really really nice shape for her age - just a few quirks here and there :) . I really really like my Subaru - she's a great car. I work her hard, and she keeps coming back for more.

Perhaps it's just a myth? I heard mention of the A/C getting in the way just once, so it might just be a fallicy.

I'm getting the radiator from Performance Radiator in Everett, WA. They sell Koyo radiators, which are aircraft-quality aluminum and heli-arc welded. Koyo advertises 30% better cooling than stock, which is very significant. A friend of mine uses one on his high-boost 200SX and raves about it.

Thanks for the help and the kind words guys. Any further input?

Guest grease weasel

I have done this upgrade. It fits but it runs really close to the cluth fan. I removed my clutch fan and wired the eletric fan to come on through the ignition with a toggle switch to turn off manually.It cools so well I don't even need to run the electric fan.

Barracuda - Thanks for the compliments on the car :) . She just turned 162,000 miles the other day. I'm afraid I haven't priced out the radiator quite yet. I'll let you know what it winds up costing.

Grease Weasel - How difficult was removal of the clutch fan? Is it absolutely necessary, or did you do it just for good measure? My 'Roo spends a lot of her life working very very hard, and cooling is of great importance to me, so if I can leave the clutch fan in place, it would be nice. I'm assuming that the electric fan is controlled by the thermostat - is the clutch fan? Or does it spin all the time?

Thanks guys!

Guest grease weasel

clutch fan comes off real easy, 4 nuts, bolts onto water pump.I carry it with me incase eletric stops working.You don't have to remove it to use a dual core.It's just hard to put in the radiator and not hit the fans bolts. It kind of tears up your new radiator.My electric fan is wire like driving lights.It is wired through my ignition but I have a toggle switch to turn it off.I have been driving around in 100 degree weather with this set up It works great.Some times I will turn of E-fan off just to see if it runs hot. but it doesn't.I definately use the fan in stop and go traffic but you don't need it on the highway.If your car still runs too hot try a 180 Degree thermostat.195 degree is factory thermo.