Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea71 engine questions

ok well the hatch i was talking about in the other post (will an ea82 disty fit in an ea71 motor) is now mine i bought it off him nice and cheap!!

now heres my question it doesnt seem to be getting any spark when i check it, ive done the backyard check on both the sparkplug wire and the wire from the coil (backyard meaning stuck a screwdriverin the end of the wiresd and looked for spark when i cranked over.

now the coil had been replaced recently and was double checked with another coil that was good to see if it was a bad coil and still nothing. now i did notice when i pulled out the disty it had a little bit of up and down play in it on the inside piece that the rotor connects to i didnt figure that was normal.

anyone got any ideas what this problem could be???

btw info on this car is: 87 hatch with ea71 and 5spd tranny 2wd

A little bit of Up and down play is normal, it's the front to back and side to side play that you have to worrie about. To me is sounds like a bad ignition module or one of the wires connected to it. Dose this hatch have a tac in the gage cluster? If so, watch it while cranking the engine over, if the module is working the needle should bounce a little.