Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD problems!

I had my 88 GL 4WD WGN towed home (about 3 miles) on its rear wheels, I know, I know, that’s not good for a 4WD, but at the time I had no other option.:banghead: Now when I engage the 4wd it works fine in high and low, but I have to push down hard on the level to disengage it and it gives a big “clunk” when it releases. Is the syncro damaged or out of alignment? What can be done to correct it, and if not can I continue to drive it in 2wd? :confused:

That's... really rather normal behavior?

I assume it wasn't in 4WD Hi or Lo while being towed - that should be fine for it. There's no center differential to damage - if it's in 4WD, the front & rear are locked together, if it's in FWD there's no connection.

If you use 4WD on dry pavement (don't, you'll damage things if you do it for long), or even on something that's not absurdly slick, you build up a bit of binding force in the drivetrain.

Try backing the car up in a straight line for 2 car lengths or so while pushing down on the lever. That releases the binding and lets you drop it back out of 4WD mode easily.

It really sounds like it's behaving normally.

-=Russ=-

Don't sound bad to me. Try it on some grass or gravel and shifting in/out of 4WD with out the tires turned. Should enguage rather smoothly then. Mine is pretty 'clunky' on even wet pavement and requires quite a bit of force to shift back to 2WD.

It was in 2wd when it was towed. I have always heard that you should tow 4wd's on a flatbed to prevent any possible damage, but you're right, there is no differential between the front and rear wheels. It's just that I haven't driven this car for a few months (engine replacement) and I'm trying to reacquaint myself with its oddities.

Thanks!:D

That's... really rather normal behavior?

I assume it wasn't in 4WD Hi or Lo while being towed - that should be fine for it. There's no center differential to damage - if it's in 4WD, the front & rear are locked together, if it's in FWD there's no connection.

If you use 4WD on dry pavement (don't, you'll damage things if you do it for long), or even on something that's not absurdly slick, you build up a bit of binding force in the drivetrain.

Try backing the car up in a straight line for 2 car lengths or so while pushing down on the lever. That releases the binding and lets you drop it back out of 4WD mode easily.

It really sounds like it's behaving normally.

-=Russ=-

make sure the wheels are straight when engage/disengaging 4wd.

say you were driving in 4wd you will want to be traveling forward to disengage it. if your forward travel has created a bind. just go straigh backward. if you are on a loose surface you can try goosing the throttle or mini-rev-dropping the clutch to break a wheel loose and expell any bind

you only have to have AWD cars towed on a flatbed, not 4WD cars that can disengage the front and rear diffs. completely, like on your car. the "binding" that you are experiencing is normal sounding to me, mine does that unless it is in mud or grass or snow or what-have-you, just remember, dont force it, try backing up and turning different ways to "unbind" the tranny. dont worry about it to much.

~Josh~

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. I'd like to say how much this site and everyone here has helped me in the past with keeping my suby on the road and out of the scrap yard! :banana:

Thanks! :D

-Mike

you only have to have AWD cars towed on a flatbed, not 4WD cars that can disengage the front and rear diffs. completely, like on your car. the "binding" that you are experiencing is normal sounding to me, mine does that unless it is in mud or grass or snow or what-have-you, just remember, dont force it, try backing up and turning different ways to "unbind" the tranny. dont worry about it to much.

~Josh~