Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Tank- Legacy 90-94 Interchange

Thanks Josh. I figured it would fit just fine. The Subaru Shop wants $550 to put a used tank in my car. Thats 150 for the tank and another $360 in Labor. Since I make 8 Bucks an hour I figured I could take the tank out of my 90 and take about 50 Hours, still saving money. Any idea how long it would take a layman to do? I have a garage and tools and Books and basic skills. Thanks

You can do it in a weekend pretty easily. Depending on how much room you have, etc. You might be able to do it in a day, but I'd give yourself two days for those unexpected issues.

You have to remove pretty much the entire rear suspension/drivetrain. Rear crossmember, trailing links, you could probably leave the struts & hubs on if you support them with something. Once that stuff is out of the way, you'll need to support the tank, unbolt the straps holding it, slowly let it down, and undo the electrical and hose fittings on the side of the tank, and the filler & vent lines.

Check out some of the pics from my swap write up. That should give you some more ideas.

You can do it in a weekend pretty easily. Depending on how much room you have, etc. You might be able to do it in a day, but I'd give yourself two days for those unexpected issues.

You have to remove pretty much the entire rear suspension/drivetrain. Rear crossmember, trailing links, you could probably leave the struts & hubs on if you support them with something. Once that stuff is out of the way, you'll need to support the tank, unbolt the straps holding it, slowly let it down, and undo the electrical and hose fittings on the side of the tank, and the filler & vent lines.

Check out some of the pics from my swap write up. That should give you some more ideas.

S o it would probably be a good time to do the rear Suspension ( Converting from Air Suspension to Conventional? ) Thanks