Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 99 Outback Wagon and I am in need of replacement tires. I live in NJ.

I currently have Michelin Radial XW-4's. I'm wondering if I should stick with them or try something different. I bought the car used and only drove about 20k on them (66k total).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

The XW-4, I believe, is the OEM tire on the Outbacks. My mother-in-law insisted that she wanted the same tire when she replaced hers at 66k. I figured I could convince her otherwise, but alas, nope couldn't do it. So I went over and swapped cars with her and went to NTB and ordered a set. Those tires handle well dry and are good in rain and OK in snow. Being in Jersey they'd be fine and the tread does last for at least the 60k they are rated for. I'm sure you could find a better handling/traction tire for about the same cost. Check out http://www.tirerack.com for alternate choices. If you're near Delaware stop on down for tax-free purchase and the warranty is good in NJ. You can save a few not paying that NJ sales tax!:D

I have a 98 OB and got 100K from my stock MX4's. (I could have gotten another 10 or 15K but It was just comming into winter and I just felt guilty about keeping them on. I actually kept 1 in case)

So I'm sold on the MX4's especially for this car. Just remember to keep them properly inflated and rotate them often (10K)

I am happy with how they ride and how they handlle.

I got the best deal over the internet from the tire rack or somthing like that.

I bought my '99 Outback new w/ the stock Michelin xw4 tires which stuck well to the road but were bald w/in 30k miles. This is bull**** for a set of $129 / ea. tires. I replaced them with some less expensive $55 Goodyear Allegra 195/65/15 tires from Sam's. These tires have performed FLAWLESSLY for 1.5 yrs. and still have good tread life remaining. Michelin tires are for any idiot who doesn't mind paying 3x what the tire is worth for little if any life expectancy in the tread - WAY TOO SOFT. I admit I drive faster than the average driver and maybe do not rotate tires every 3000 miles, but for the money I would definitely find a less expensive tire especially if you can get that many miles out of the stock "bubble gum" tires produced by Michelin. One thing, with the smaller tire diameter - it did alter my speedometer/odometer settings by approx. 8 mph. Don't waste your money on a name, buy a K&N air filter and take the "snorkle" out of the fender and let your Subaru come to life. It will I promise. Bullit.

What most people don't realize about the tires that come new on thier car is that they are usually not the some tire you can get in the aftermarket. Most tire companies make two kinds of tires; OEM and aftermarket. The tires you get on your new car are made for the manufactuerer and simply ride and handle nice. They usually don't last as long as those you get at the tire shop. Michelin may be the exception. Their OEM tires seem to do well.

After working in a tire shop for many years, it seem like most OEM tires for most car makes last about 30K-45K miles. Just my experience.

Most Michelins rot away before thier tread wears out(if its not a performance tire) and have very, very few complaints. I'm a Michelin man all the way.

I wound up getting Michelin Hydro Edge tires ($107 each). I've had them for about a week and absolutely LOVE them. The first two days I had them it was raining and they cut right through the puddles. They grip like crazy, handle very well and are pretty quiet. MUCH more quiet than the OEM's.

Thanks

Joe