Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rusted Wheels!!!

My rear wheels are rusted onto the brake drum, and I cannot get them off!

Anyone know a secret method to get them off? I used half a can of a couple different penetrants and nothing, I even (carefully) lowered the entire weight of the car onto the wheel with no lug nuts on, and even shook the car around and still it won't break free.

They aren't completely immobile, I can pry each spoke of the wheel and it will pull away from the drum just a little, it seems to be stuck around the center hub area.

Any help folks??

Take it to a local tire shop and ask them to rotate your tires

My rear wheels are rusted onto the brake drum, and I cannot get them off!

Anyone know a secret method to get them off? I used half a can of a couple different penetrants and nothing, I even (carefully) lowered the entire weight of the car onto the wheel with no lug nuts on, and even shook the car around and still it won't break free.

They aren't completely immobile, I can pry each spoke of the wheel and it will pull away from the drum just a little, it seems to be stuck around the center hub area.

Any help folks??

Take it to a local tire shop and ask them to rotate your tires

I like that option the best - least work for me :D

A prybar would also be a good idea - if you are not worried about the tires for some reason, you could try heating the rim while pounding on it - be careful as these rims can bend.

Thanks guys, I guess the liquid wrench just needed some soak-in time, I jacked her up to try again this morning and it just popped off. I guess now I have to see about the other 3!

I seem to be proned to this problem for some reason, my Tacoma does it too, every time I need to rotate the tires the fronts stick. I found out that if I loosen the lug nuts until they're just barely snug and then slowly drive a few feet and slam on the brakes that that'll usually break em' free. ( I was going to try this on the subaru but didn't want to unless I had to.

Well, thanks folks, you'll hear from me again when I have another problem with the subaru. ;)