Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody else notice the upswing in prices on Subaru's?

Looking at getting a new vehicle since the WRX has 85K on it. Stopped at a dealership in Lewisville, TX to take a look. While I understand they have made some improvements, but 31K for a Legacy with a turbo or 33K for a turbo Outback? Try 34K for a STI or even 26K for a non-turbo Baja? Sure makes the Loyale I bought a few months ago with 34K on the odo seem like a deal considering the price might equal the sales tax on the Legacy. I was fairly loyal with Subaru, but if I can buy a '02 Infiniti Q45 for 27K with about 30K miles compared to a new Legacy, I'm out on Subaru in the future. Anybody else think Subaru is pricing themselves out of the market?

Looking at getting a new vehicle since the WRX has 85K on it. Stopped at a dealership in Lewisville, TX to take a look. While I understand they have made some improvements, but 31K for a Legacy with a turbo or 33K for a turbo Outback? Try 34K for a STI or even 26K for a non-turbo Baja? Sure makes the Loyale I bought a few months ago with 34K on the odo seem like a deal considering the price might equal the sales tax on the Legacy. I was fairly loyal with Subaru, but if I can buy a '02 Infiniti Q45 for 27K with about 30K miles compared to a new Legacy, I'm out on Subaru in the future. Anybody else think Subaru is pricing themselves out of the market?
For what it is worth, I have the window sticker for my 99 Legacy L 30th Anniversary Sedan 2.2 with a 5 speed and the suggested retail was $20,690! Think about it, nearly 21 grand for a Legacy sedan with the small engine and a 5 speed! Now 99 is 7 "car years" ago so $31,000 doesn't sound too bad.

Just because they ask that price doesn't mean you will pay that price. Here is what buying used with 2,400 miles saves you:

2005 Subaru Legacy Outback2.5I Silver 2,401 $22,595

(this is from Becker Subaru's web site in Allentown PA. Becker is the largest or in the top 3 in sales on the east coast, varies from year to year) I don't guess there is a huge demand for AWD cars in Ft. Worth so the buying power of the dealer may be less?

You raise a good point though, 31 grand for a Legacy is a chunk of change. Are they pricing themselves out of the market? Only time will tell (how is that for a definitive answer)!

Greg

The prices are a little higher than they should be....I have been thinking that subaru is pricing themselves out of the market too.

As for the remark about Becker (beckersubaru.com ).....I have bought 3 NEW cars from them in the past 4 model years...and I can tell you first hand that their prices on new (along with the cheaper financing of a new car) outweighs their used prices hands down. The wagon that was quoted as being used is most likely about $1500 if that less than what they would sell it for new. If you finance that car you will get used rates though and actually pay more for the car.

Dem: think about this....the guy I bought my car from (which quit reciently) told me he once sold an OB to a guy in colorado. He and his wife flew in to Leigh valley airport (allentown) and took delivery of their car. Then they drove it home (mini vacation) and was STILL about 1k less then they could have done locally.

Do some more shopping,

Matt

I don't think Subaru pricing has escalated any more than any other manufacturer...Subaru is marketing/positioning its products as a "premium" brand. I've got the window sticker for our '98 Legacy Outback Limited and it was over 27k (we paid 25.4) back in September 1997.

All car manufacturers are raising prices.....it's ridiculous IMO how much cars have gotten. I think it's BS.

In subaru's case, they are trying to compete with upscale markets. Their problem is their image. They have been known for good AWD cars, not too frilly, for a reasonable price. That is a rather big image to get past....with current customers, and future customers.

It's the reason toyota created Lexus, and Nissan created infiniti.

Personally, I don't think subaru will sell the volume of premium vehicles unless they follow suit with a premium brand.

It's the reason toyota created Lexus, and Nissan created infiniti.

Personally, I don't think subaru will sell the volume of premium vehicles unless they follow suit with a premium brand.

Well, bring it on. And while we're at it, perhaps an "entry" brand like Toyota's Scion wouldn't be a bad idea either (stripped down Impreza and Justy knock-offs).

Well, bring it on. And while we're at it, perhaps an "entry" brand like Toyota's Scion wouldn't be a bad idea either (stripped down Impreza and Justy knock-offs).

Have you checked out the Scion TC? That car is far from stripped down. You get a LOT for $16,515. Four wheel discs with ABS, 17 inch alloys, power moon roof to name a few.

I don't want an upscale, premium, or what ever Subaru is marketing their cars as. Yes I know, automakers make more profit on upscale cars and that's the basic reasoning for them to add frills and charge more.

Yes, Subaru has escalated in price more than most mfgs, but I admit, you get more too. The problem is all I want is basic AWD, ABS, and EAT. I wish Subaru would introduce a "stripped" version to meet my needs. That is, a good, inexpensive, reliable car like they used to make.

Have you checked out the Scion TC? That car is far from stripped down. You get a LOT for $16,515. Four wheel discs with ABS, 17 inch alloys, power moon roof to name a few.

Heck yeah. And hte SVX inspired radio door cover is MOTORIZED, so when you lock the car it hides the stereo. That is just too cool. Those Scion TCs are going to make me a believer. What a great car!