Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 subaru gl wagon

Hi, I have a 84 I think with a 1.8 carb. when the car is idleing its great. but most of the time when you are using power or need power the engine acts like the choke fell over, and the fuel drops to 10 miles to a gallon, and you can't get any real power, if you back off to idle its smooth as a baby, I had the carb rebuilt problem went away for a week, then its back again, Any one have any idea. Thanks

Derek

Hey I also forgot, when I roll around a corner or turn with a bit of a lean I hear a wine or roar sound coming from the back, is that the rear end or cv's??????

Thanks again for the helping hand of knowledge.........

Hey I also forgot, when I roll around a corner or turn with a bit of a lean I hear a wine or roar sound coming from the back, is that the rear end or cv's??????

That sounds like your rear wheel bearings.

For the engine, also check spark plugs, disty cap etc.

Put in one more vote for the electric choke!

Your Fuel Pump Control Unit may not be speaking properly with the carb.

As I understand it you need to run power to the carb to keep the choke OFF!

Disconnecting the wire should cause the choke to go ON!

I drove around with a screwdriver in my carb to keep the choke open till I was able to jump the new wires.

I'd also recommend a basic tune up. INCLUDING WIRES! I had something similar to what your describing and the culprit turned out to be a failing wire!

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

get on ohms meter and test your coil according to the haynes or chiltons manual. My car did that when my accel coil started to burn out

Torxxx you rule the day, it was the coil that fixed that problem on to the next, I think maybe just maybe the guy who sold me this car may have been maybe just a bit forgot to tell me all the problems. But I gotta tell you and others, This really takes the pain out of trying to fix the car back up. And it makes it a cool project...Thanks

Derek

I second the fuel filter possiblity. There are two. One in engine bay, and one in front of the rear passenger tire.

[HTi]Johnson

P.S. Hey Derek where do you live in Oregon?

Hti-Johnson....I live in Eugene Oregon, How about your self.

Oh the problem I had turned out to be a coil, but I did change the filter under the hood but did not know about the one in the rear, I seem to have a slight fuel lobe while driving.....I only have a few more parts to be a new motor, minus that it needs head gaskets. but I am really glad to see this site and read about some great guys and information.

Thank you

Derek

I second the fuel filter possiblity. There are two. One in engine bay, and one in front of the rear passenger tire.

[HTi]Johnson

P.S. Hey Derek where do you live in Oregon?

Where is the fuel filter for a 1985 subaru gl wagon ....under the hood? I have changed my rear one.....someone has told me there is another one...

thanks.