Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ATTN: Stolen 87 GL in Seattle, WA

My 1987 GL Wagon was stolen on July 2, 2003. I recovered it August 4, 2003. Stolen from the north Capitol Hill area and recovered on Eastlake near Azteca.

Apparently it was stolen to steal the stereo (the face was detached but stashed in the car) and the Yakima roof rack with bike mounts. They also stole all my CDs except the ones I had burned on my pc. I imagine they took it to a garage a spent their time drilling out the locks on the roof rack.

They must have been desperate. The stereo was a few years old and starting to go on the fritz. The roof rack was several years old and rusty in some places.

No other damage is apparent. It had 3/4 tank of gas when it was stolen and when I got it back, so it was a neighborhood sort of gig. The guy at the auto body shop (i thought the doorlocks were broken) said with older cars, the tumblers in the locks and ignition get rather worn, and if someone had a pocketful of 50 car keys, one of them might've finally fit my car.

I found my car because someone saw one of my signs I had posted around the neighborhood about a stolen car.

I hope this info helps someone else!

The clubs are worthless to a good car theif - you just cut the steering wheel with a hacksaw - takes about 15 seconds - they make the steering wheel from cheap plastic, and it's no good replacing it, since they are all made weak to collapse in a collision with your head. Brake pedal locks are pretty decent. A friend of mine in high school put an aftermarket Model-T Ford buzzbox ignition system in his truck - hooked to the door handles. He would electrify them with a switch under the rocker panel. Anyone who touched them would be thrown to the ground with quite a jolt. I like that idea personally.

GD

he he he.. I was thinking the same thing!

I think I am gonna go grab a few ignition coils from PAP, and wire them up to the body somehow!

:brow:

yeah, that does suck though, especially knowing that most of my subarus at home start or at least open with the same set of keys! (some of them anyways)

I have found that a lot of the older (this includes high milage legacys and imprezas) keys and tumblers get worn out like he said, and random keys will work!

it got so bad on my high school wagon, that I could start it with anything that would fit in the slot!

I hate thieves....I like the sound of the ignition coil anti theft. Should put it on the ignition switch so the thief is knocked out in your car, easier to deal with.

My custom anti theft device is a worn out ignition and wheel lock, the shop I take it to for inspection can never get it started....WITH the key! I have to walk out and fire up the car so the guy can drive it in the garage...ha haaaa