Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dead in a snowstorm...

My Subie died on the way to work today, started sputtering then died. I suspect yet another dead Accell coil (I know I should have had a spare with me) I was just wondering what else i should check when I go out tomorrow, it's way to cold and snowy to troubleshoot today. It's an '88 3 door, FWD SPFI.

I would check all ignition components - like cap and rotor too - just to be sure.

I would also check the fuel system if the ignition system is not the culprit - a dead fuel pump could do that, as well as a CAS or computer failure - but I doubt there would be sputtering with those

Can you see inside your front fuel filter? Gas?

I had my Trooper quit during a mean snow storm.

I found snow had been sucked through all the ducting and covered my air filter and was suffocating my engine. :slobber:

Some "Heet" from the 7/11 and a quick bang on the air filter and I was on the road again!

How bad was the snow storm?

For what it's worth?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

We had that same storm yesterday. It will blow by quick. Were now in blue skys and warm temps.

Could you pull off a fuel line on the filter? This may answer the question on if it's getting gas.

I guess a spark is the next question?

Once you spill gas all over the inside of your engine compartment then check for a spark! :brow:

Maybe that should be done in reverse order? :eek:

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

My Subie died on the way to work today, started sputtering then died. I suspect yet another dead Accell coil (I know I should have had a spare with me) I was just wondering what else i should check when I go out tomorrow, it's way to cold and snowy to troubleshoot today. It's an '88 3 door, FWD SPFI.

dont forget the simple things...maybe if its that cold and there's moisture in your fuel then maybe it froze somewhere in the line. happened to me before..but it has to be pretty friggin cold for that. but try some drygas.. might help.

make sure you use the Red bottle of heet. And use like 4 bottles. Red vs. Yellow heet comes down to the red burning with water with the gas, and the yellow just makes the water stick in the filter and plug up.

As for the accel coil, dont use em.... Yes, they work good for about a month of hard driving then they slowly die. I went from 25 mpg to 13 mpg on with my accel coil in a 6 month period.

Good luck

i have had my acell coils on both my cars for close to a year with no problems , but mpg has been less on the turbo full time 4wd a/t wagon , it was getting 25city then around 21 , took out big fat cat went back up to 23 city , so your saying my acell coil is slowly going bad ?

Hey Folks, My subie started right up after work (aprox. 7 hours later) I guess all the slush and high winds got things wet that shouldn't be wet...A tank of gas and some heet and I'm on the road again. Gotta love those problems that solve themselves for free!