Ultimate Subaru Message Board

purge control solenoid

anybody have a pic of where this is located? dont have any manuals or books yet and didnt find a pic when i did a search...hopefully going to a pap tomorrow and since on the way home the dreaded red light came on throwing a code 35 and again a 32 at me i guess its time to try and find some solenoids..but, i am pretty dumb at repairing stuff so i need pics...should i check the bottom of the charcoal canister and see if its gummed up at all?

I've got three that are broken. /small hijack/Anyone have a good one? /end small hijack/

I agree. way fragile.

What is the downside to a broken one? I've never noticed a difference in the way the car runs.

Unless it's the cause of the slight surging while steady on the throttle.

Jay

the purge control solenoid doesnt affect the motor as much as the egr solenoid does. with the egr out, the car will sputter bad at an idle (egr valve sticks in)

Anyone has a good source for these, let me know.. we always need em at work. prolly 2 or 3 a week

what does that round thingie on the left do? mine turns freely

I would guess that it's an air vent. My understanding of the purge control solenoid is that when it's activated, vacuum goes to the purge canister, and when it's deactivated, that vacuum must be released. Hence the vent. Dunno if that's true, but that's my understanding of it.

Though I believe the Purge control and EGR solenoids function identically, they do not look identical. But they do look very similar. As I recall the vent cap, yes that's what it is, looks a bit different between the two and the ports are mounted differently.

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether the feedback signal to the ECU is the same for both. Seems like a couple of years ago I substituted a Purge control solenoid for a EGR solenoid and confirmed that it was functioning, but still got a code 34 on the ECU.

Any thoughts from anyone else on this?

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/parts/100dollarpart.jpg

it will be located near the thermostat housing on an spfi, trace the vacuum to the carcoal canister, the rohtehr one is the egr solenod

Miles-

The photo is an EGR solenoid. How to tell? EGR prong has one horiz and one vertical prong (as shown) and PCS has two horizontal prongs in the connector. Good representation of appearance, as both solenoids are very similar other than connectors.

Bill

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether the feedback signal to the ECU is the same for both. Seems like a couple of years ago I substituted a Purge control solenoid for a EGR solenoid and confirmed that it was functioning, but still got a code 34 on the ECU.

Any thoughts from anyone else on this?

My 88 GL is currently throwing code 34 for the EGR sensor. Funny thing is, the solenoid is just fine... I'm not sure what to do with it.

Also, if needed, I know the local junkyard here has a few more purge control solenoids. They're fresh out of EGR solenoids. If anyone needs one, let me know.

FWIW, I did some tests with the solenoids I have (EGR & PCS) and they are IDENTICAL. The only difference is the connector on it.

Also, the vent thing that acts like it can unscrew; it appears to have been snapped on, so it doesn't matter how it's turned or how much - it doesn't effect anything on it.

As all you may know, those babies will cost you well over $100 each if you purchase a new one. I found this out the hard way when I broke one of mine working on things. My first thought after I broke it was, "I just broke a $30 dollar part". You can imagine my surprise when the parts guy told me the real cost.

i took a good purge control valve,cut the wires off near the connector,took a bad egr valve and cut the wires and cut it off near the valve.took the wires and conector from the egr valve and spliced it to the purge control valve and put it in the place for the egr valve.wasn't sure if it would work but they looked identical other than the connectors.it did make my egr code go away and i haven't noticed any thing different.

There's an easier way to change the connectors. If you look inside the connector you'll see the two flat contacts (spade connectors). Inside, almost where the wire is connected, is a small barb on the flat part. Use a scribe, a nail or something similar and push the barb down while pulling the wire out the rear of the connector. You'll end up with two wires with spade connectors on them. Do the same to the solenoid you want to swap it with, then just push the spade connectors into the connector housing and the barbs will hold them in place. No splices to cause resistance or come apart.