Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need some strut help

I'm in the process of replacing my rear struts and ran into a problem. Both upper bolts started out fine, I got the left one all the way out and just as I thought I almost might have the second it gets stuck and I can't move it. The right side mount also moved up so the holes no longer line up. I know chiltons says to support lower control arm which I did, although it did not specify how much. Any idea what these tight bolts are all about, could their be to much pressure on the bolt? I've also applied some anti seize.. During all this I also tried to loosen the lower bolt and had no luck... and advice would be greatly appreciated I don't have a ton of time, as I would like to go fishing tomorrow! Thanks Josh

jack the car up by the tube frame so the tire is off the gorund

take off the tire and locate the bottom of the strut. take out the bolt so the lower control arm swings away and no weight on the strut

when youpuy it back together, bolt the top first then the bottom

Let the control arm hang. It'll stay about where it needs to. There may be too much pressure on everything if you are holding it up with a jack or something.

If they are like my EA82, the first time I replaced them those top bolts had some sort of LocTite on them, from factory and were TIGHT. Also the lower bolts undo from the diff side, the wheel side is welded onto the mount..Lang

If they are like my EA82, the first time I replaced them those top bolts had some sort of LocTite on them, from factory and were TIGHT. Also the lower bolts undo from the diff side, the wheel side is welded onto the mount..Lang

I finally went to home depot and got some pipe for a helper finally got one side off, what a pain though very slow process and my rachet kept popping. the other side is even worse, both top bolts are tight, really tight.

When I get them off i was debating either to take the struts to shop and have them change the springs over or just rent a compression tool from schucks. Is it a pain in the rump roast to compress the springs????? Thanks for the help Josh

It's not a pain if you've got a good compressor. See what Schucks has, as these springs don't have much room to get a compressor in there. I could probably do it for you on friday night with the one we've got here at UAA if renting a compressor doesn't work out.