Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hotwire VS metering door systems HELP! :)

Hi,

I have 2 turbo wagons, which I am attepting to make into 1.

The donor car was a running 87 gl with hot wire mass air flow.

I have modded it hevily and now that it has served me well as my test bench, I want to put the motor and possibly the injection system into an 86 GL10 Turbo, that has all the bells and whistles including the digital dash. It is running the metering door type fuel injection system. I pulled the whole wiring harness from the 87 donor car hoping it would simply plug into the dash wiring of the 86.

The connectors are the same , but the 87 harness is missing a ton of wires that the engine harness from the 86 has. I suspect this has to do with all the options the GL10 has.

So my question is this: How moddable is the metering door type injection? Whats the most boost anyone has run with it before the air door runs out of travel? I was running 14 psi of boost through the hot wire type before I pulled the engine and dismantled the donor car. I would occasionally have annoying problems hitting the fuel cut, but overall I am of the opinion that the hotwire system is a better system due to the fact that the computer has full control over the timing. The other system appears to use vacuum and weights to control timing . Will this be affected by increased boost pressures?

I would like to know the pros and cons of both systems.

I will be running 14 psi again hopefully . I use a JDM WRX air to water intercooler to keep things from detonating, so I am hoping to be able to mess with the timing curves.

Any help would be very appreciated

Thanks