Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need an idea on pricing for a 78 Brat

Took my Brat to get the key pulled out today and when I picked it up the one guy asked me if I wanted to buy another one. Its a 78 White Brat (was repainted as a work truck for a company he worked for). It has "very little rust", 78k original miles!, and is basically well a work truck. Some dings and dents and all that junk. It needs a water pump and a rotor from what he says. What'cha think I should offer him?

Does he know what its worth. Since its a work truck, and was used as one primarily, chances are he thinks of it as "just another car". Offer him something low... depending on condition (hard to gauge without being there) but off the top of my head, i would say in the $500 ballpark. Just as a 1st offer. I wouldnt go any higher than $1200 at the most though.

-Brian

• 7 months later...

Wait a second......"no one wants a gen1 Brat". "They are giving them away in good shape on the bay"???????????? I beg to differ. I've seen some nice prices on eBay recently!! You guys really upset me with these type of comments! I could say some things about Gen 2s....but I'll "bite my tongue". Let's just say, I choose to not own any.

I have 5...yes 5 wanting my 1980. 3 wanting my 79 wagon. I also get plenty of emails loooking for these vehicles. " very little rust", 78k original miles" sounds nice to me!!!!!! I can get you a buyer for MUCH more than $200!!! Let supply and demand work! Tell the guy to place a message on here with his contact info. Try eBay!!! Better keep $200 a secret or you will have competition!

I have a coworker doctor friend who wants a Gen 1...he said he pay what was needed for a nice one!

Folks, let's not offend each others vehicles with comments like that. Esp, when the statement is not true. I'm growing weary of defending the Gen1s. Getting a good price is fine, free is better. But lets refrain from the comments that "my cars" are not nice or desirable in the marketplace!

Thank you,

Todd

As far as pricing goes it is hard to say, i got my first 78 Brat " the turbo one for free" due to it sitting in a feild for 21 years. but when i found one sitting at a wrecking yard i traded a 1994 nissan 240sx with new tires, exhaust, clutch, rod and main bearings, ac system, struts all the way around, and brakes, and yes this all was done in like a month to the car so when i say new i mean it. also new radiator and water pump and thermostat. and no body damage, and only had like 80 thousand on the car. tagged and inspected.

cause i wanted the 79 brat he had in the yard that he was going to crush that day it was in a line of crush cars that was being crushed that day. the motor in that brat was locked up, but the body parts and everything i needed was right there.

Ok you must think i am stupid for giving up a car like that right ? nah when it was cold it took an hour of running for a mysterious knock to go away inside the motor so when it was warm it was fine. he replaced the motor later in the car, and then to do nothing but total it pulling out onto the hiway leaving his shop less than 5 miles after he put the motor in it.