Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hood Scoop ideas....

This is what I have so far:

DSC00450.sized.jpg

DSC00451.sized.jpg

There are alot more pictures here:

http://gallery.usmb.net/scoop

It looks kinda gay, but I like it. I plan on mounting the scoop inside the engine bay, and have a hole in the hood for the scoop to fit through. Have it mounted shaker style, so it will sit alittle lower in the hood (and at a different angle) than pictured.

In my mind I think it'd look sweet. But everybody i ask, sais otherwise. And not like am building my car to please my friends... but I dont want to drive something that looks like rump roast... and i value my friends opinions.

So I ask... should I go orignal... or just do what everyone else is doing and buy a knock-off WRX scoop?

I cant seem to find any other scoop I like.

Here's another idea I had:

scoopidea.sized.jpg

I was thinking of cutting a slit in the hump on my hood, and flaten everything in front and create a scoop using the hump in the hood.

-Brian

I agree. Go your own way. I like the shaker idea, and that scoop would look good as one. Do it.

And hey espey 16, It's been done. :-p Go for it, though. I love mine. it totally fits the car.

Now the new hatch on the other hand, is getting a genuine STI scoop grafted on....:brow:

I like the scoop. It's good to be different, I say do it your way and live with it. Like you said you're building this car for yourself, and if that scoop is what you had in mind, go for it. YOU have to live with it.:) you don't want to be riding around with other people's ideas attached to your hood do you?

Ok, hopefully i get outbid on this WRX scoop on ebay. If not, i will have two idea's to go with.

If I go the shaker way, i will need to find a way to mount the scoop to the spare tire mount, elevated enough to stick up through the hood.

Skip, i got your PM. Reply and I'll set things straight. Ive been hanging onto this hood since you sent it to me... what, 5... 6 years ago?? I even sent it to Chef Tim at one point for a project of his, but he never used it. I emailed him a year or so ago and got it back :)

I think i will go with this scoop. I'll paint it white and then lay it on the hood to see what it looks like.

-Brian

now see if i had accsess toa nice sti scoop for a few weeks i would make a fiberglass mold of it

then cut the mold in half and narrow it reglass it back together so it is just wide enough to fit the "hump" on ea82 hoods

and incorporate bolt down mounts for it and then pop out a few ..

but thats just me

and since i doubt anyone has a spare sti scoop i can borrow.. oh welll

you want the original shortened ?

or a reinforced fibreglass one? using the wrx one to make a mold off of

as long as the scoop is waxed nice and good the resin/matting won't stick to it

then once its cured you can cut it and narrow it to fit the hump on the hood

then re glass teh mold together and sand it all down wax it all up and lay the resin and matting layers down ... plus gelcoat in any color available

i think to much i think

i fibreglassed the back of one of my sons' power wheels electric trucks.. and reinforced it with steel strapping i could stand in the bed of it afterwards

185lbs