Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distributors and caps

When I went to the parts store to buy a new dist cap, I gave them the info for what engine the car came out of - but when I got home to install it, the cap was not the correct one and the rotor was completely different too. Upon inspection, the cap that was on it looked almost brand new, so I just decided to return the one I got. Well, the gal at the parts counter wanted to find me the right one, so she brought out the one for the hatchback - and it was the right cap. Are the distributor's different on a hatchback than on a wagon!????? That totally confused me as I assumed they were all basically the same engine and components from the EA82 carbed engines? I am assuming that my dist. must be from a hatchback????? I almost got in an argument with the gal because she asked me before she brought out the cap if my car had a hatchback. I said ''no, it's a wagon''. She said, ''yea, but does the back have a hatch?''. Grrr. Yes, technically, but it's NOT a ''hatchback'', grumble grumble.....

the difference is carbed vs FI - hitachis are the ones (I think) that screw down, and have a screw down rotor - mostly FI cars, ND's have a clip-on cap, and push-on rotor - I may have it backwards, but I know of those two different systems

Actually, I've seen two different setups on the ea82 carbed cars. Both have push-on rotors. Somebody told me a while back that one is a Hitachi unit and the other is made by Nippendenso. So far I've had two cases where the parts store gave me the wrong one.

actually the engines are completely different between the hatch and the wagon, i have an 87 motor in my 85 from a wagon, and have the 87 hatch and the hatch is a ea71 motor and the wagon is a ea82 motor, caps look almost identical since they both have nipendenso distys but the caps arent the same size, and both cars are carbed. had the same prob when i went to get a new cap and rotor for the ea82 told them 87 and still had the wrong 1 took my old cap and rotor in the next time to make sure

snowman, yeah i have a hitachi from my 85 ea82motor and the sizing is also different, from the nippendenso on my 877 ea82 motor

85sub actually both the ones i have are push down rotors the hitachi 1 is much shorter height wise though

actually the engines are completely different between the hatch and the wagon...

Yes, technically the Hatch is the EA81, as are a few other models. And most computerized parts systems aren't set up to deal with Subaru differences. (Every time I get parts for my EA82Turbos, I get asked if this is a 1600cc engine... which AFAIK was not offered in the US during any of the years of the EA82.)

The underlying problem is that no one except the person that entered the term "Hatch" into the computerized system have a clue what it really refers to. "Sedan" and "coupe" also have the same problem. I am amazed how many times that I have seen obviously wrong combinations of models for parts that are exclusive to either the EA81 or EA82 engine.

My salvation at my NAPA was having a counterperson who owned a Subaru and knew what to look for. (Unfortunately he is no longer there.)

My advice is to take your part with you and compare.

I have had to use this advice even for my plain-vanilla Aerostar. Millions on the road and the parts systems still don't have a clue. Ok, so I own an Aerostar; it was $500 and I am a youth soccer coach. I can't pile 6 kids and a mound of equipment into my twagon... YET!

well, both the cap that is on my car and the wrong one they gave me were/are the clip on style (not screw on). The one in my car has a notch at one side, and the other side has a tab that goes into the dist. for alignment. The one they originally gave me had two notches and no tab and had some sort of vent on the top. The rotor on my car is much bigger than the one they sold me too.

I will take the cap in next time - but I guess I'm lazy :P

I will take the cap in next time - but I guess I'm lazy :P

Not lazy, merely too trusting.

I was prepped for my Soob parts experience with my Datsun: Had to know Nabco vs. Tokico, early71 vs. late 71, blah, blah, blah.

So sounds like you should determine if your distributor is an Hitachi or NipponDenso. Then at least you can sound more intelligent than the counterperson. :grin:

Not lazy, merely too trusting.

I was prepped for my Soob parts experience with my Datsun: Had to know Nabco vs. Tokico, early71 vs. late 71, blah, blah, blah.

So sounds like you should determine if your distributor is an Hitachi or NipponDenso. Then at least you can sound more intelligent than the counterperson. :grin:

If I could pronounce NipponDenso, LOL! How do I determine which dist I have?

Not abso-posi-lute, but I believe that the Hitachi's cap has an Hitachi symbol (kind of flower-like, 4-petaled/leafed, kind of scrolly) molded into it. If you made yourself small and stuck your head near the distributor body, it should have some mention of Hitachi or ND.

Do you still have the original engine? If so, you might look at its distributor for markings.

Snowman has it right; carb'd EA82's had either the Hitachi or Nippondenso distributor. It's not unusual to get the wrong set at the autoparts store. If you have a choice, get the Hitachi; I've found the ignitor module easier to replace on the Hitachi version although it is quite pricey; I have a collection of used ones from PAP to carry as spares.

Actually, I've seen two different setups on the ea82 carbed cars. Both have push-on rotors. Somebody told me a while back that one is a Hitachi unit and the other is made by Nippendenso. So far I've had two cases where the parts store gave me the wrong one.

Not abso-posi-lute, but I believe that the Hitachi's cap has an Hitachi symbol (kind of flower-like, 4-petaled/leafed, kind of scrolly) molded into it. If you made yourself small and stuck your head near the distributor body, it should have some mention of Hitachi or ND.

Do you still have the original engine? If so, you might look at its distributor for markings.

yep, thats about right. my cap says Hitachi right across the top..

92 Loyale spfi

Just had this experience at Autozone. Went in to buy cap & rotor. Specified 83 GL 4x4 Manual no turbo. Gal went through the computer, grabbed the part of the shelf and handed it to me. I looked at it and it was the wrong part (also didn't have the rotor). So I had her look up an 85 GL 4x4 No Turbo and got the right parts. SOme kinda weird.

The Nippondenso dristributors have clip on caps and press on rotors. I've found that they perform better when you use cap and rotor with brass inserts rather than aluminum. Not sure why, though.

I'm surprised it will work at all since the shaft lengths are different.

edrach you are right about them not interchangeing between the late ea71 and the ea82, the bolt holes are completely different(found that out the hard way) will start and run a ea71 though if you hold it

The Nippondenso dristributors have clip on caps and press on rotors. I've found that they perform better when you use cap and rotor with brass inserts rather than aluminum. Not sure why, though.

So, the Hitachi one's have screws then instead of clips? Mine has clips. Hmm - the cap I have now has the aluminum inserts I think - but the rotor has a brass end I think? I hope that doesn't make a difference......

OH, and NorthWet - nope, we put the original engine in the engine compartment of the donor wagon before we gave it away. BUT! We did take all the stuff off of it like dist., starter, alt., carb - important parts :D So, I have another dist in a box in the garage - guess I could compare them!

number on the distributor.......lol.....what is funny is for my 1985 wagon they made like 10 different types of distributors......lol.....makes one shake their head.....might be best to have yours rebuilt....as a brand new one is ...very pricey....:banana: